How to parse email in real time?

Post by http://links.i6networks.co » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:33:36

What I want to make is something to automatically analyzing the email
received

Is there a way to parse email in real time in Perl or Shell, assuming the
script is sitting with the mail server.

I looked into the email format, sometimes, it has something like =3D =0 at
the end of line. Sometimes, it email looks a like a binary file, but it
should be text file as only text and html are in the file.

Post by Ed Morto » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:59:30

> What I want to make is something to automatically analyzing the email
> received

> Is there a way to parse email in real time in Perl or Shell, assuming the
> script is sitting with the mail server.

> I looked into the email format, sometimes, it has something like =3D =0 at
> the end of line. Sometimes, it email looks a like a binary file, but it
> should be text file as only text and html are in the file.

Check out procmail (http://www.procmail.org/) and formail (google).

        Ed.

Post by Kevin Rodger » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:08:09

 > What I want to make is something to automatically analyzing the email
 > received
 >
 > Is there a way to parse email in real time in Perl or Shell, assuming the
 > script is sitting with the mail server.

procmail can invoke any executable or script on incoming messages:
http://www.procmail.org/

--
Kevin Rodgers

Post by http://links.i6networks.co » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:15:34

> > What I want to make is something to automatically analyzing the email
> > received

> > Is there a way to parse email in real time in Perl or Shell, assuming
the
> > script is sitting with the mail server.

> > I looked into the email format, sometimes, it has something like =3D =0
at
> > the end of line. Sometimes, it email looks a like a binary file, but it
> > should be text file as only text and html are in the file.

> Check out procmail (http://www.procmail.org/) and formail (google).

The file is C based source codes. How do I install it on the server as I
don't have admin access to it. Is there something similar to it in
Perl/PHP/Shell?

Is ProcMail runable on Windows?

Post by Ed Morto » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:39:57

>>>What I want to make is something to automatically analyzing the email
>>>received

>>>Is there a way to parse email in real time in Perl or Shell, assuming

> the

>>>script is sitting with the mail server.

>>>I looked into the email format, sometimes, it has something like =3D =0

> at

>>>the end of line. Sometimes, it email looks a like a binary file, but it
>>>should be text file as only text and html are in the file.

>>Check out procmail (http://www.procmail.org/) and formail (google).

> The file is C based source codes. How do I install it on the server as I
> don't have admin access to it. Is there something similar to it in
> Perl/PHP/Shell?

> Is ProcMail runable on Windows?

I expect most of the above questions are addressed in the FAQs on that page.

        Ed.

Post by Kenny McCorma » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:17:48

Quote:>> Check out procmail (http://www.procmail.org/) and formail (google).

>The file is C based source codes. How do I install it on the server as I
>don't have admin access to it.

Do you have access to a C compiler?

Quote:>Is there something similar to it in Perl/PHP/Shell?

Probably.  I'd never use it, though.

Quote:>Is ProcMail runable on Windows?

O/T in this NG.  Try down the hall...

How to parse email in real time?

Post by Bill Marcu » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:24:49

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.shell.]
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:33:36 GMT, http://links.i6networks.com

> What I want to make is something to automatically analyzing the email
> received

> Is there a way to parse email in real time in Perl or Shell, assuming the
> script is sitting with the mail server.

> I looked into the email format, sometimes, it has something like =3D =0 at
> the end of line. Sometimes, it email looks a like a binary file, but it
> should be text file as only text and html are in the file.

That sounds like quoted-printable encoding.  If you can edit the email
to add these header lines, your mail client might decode it:

--
   Liberals don't believe they deserve anything they own; conservatives think
   they're entitled to everything they've stolen.

How to parse email in real time?

Post by John Bokm » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:28:56

Quote:> What I want to make is something to automatically analyzing the email
> received

For Spam?

Quote:> Is there a way to parse email in real time in Perl or Shell, assuming
> the script is sitting with the mail server.

I use spamassassin for this (for spam that is). Written in Perl ;-)

--
John                    Small Perl scripts:http://johnbokma.com/perl/
               Perl programmer available:     http://castleamber.com/

Post by William Par » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 05:24:01

In <comp.unix.shell> http://links.i6networks.com

> What I want to make is something to automatically analyzing the email
> received

> Is there a way to parse email in real time in Perl or Shell, assuming
> the script is sitting with the mail server.

> I looked into the email format, sometimes, it has something like =3D
> =0 at the end of line. Sometimes, it email looks a like a binary file,
> but it should be text file as only text and html are in the file.

Steps that are involve are the same as spam filtering.  For that,
standard answer is
    man procmail procmailrc procmailex
    man formail
asuming you're running Linux.  For Windows, I've heard the
www.cygwin.org has something offer.  Though I don't know whether you can
invoke Procmail from whatever MTA you're running.

How to parse email in real time?

Post by Zebee Johnston » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:02:03

In comp.lang.perl.misc on Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:15:34 GMT

> The file is C based source codes. How do I install it on the server as I
> don't have admin access to it. Is there something similar to it in
> Perl/PHP/Shell?

YOu could look at the cpan module Mail::Audit and write a perlscript
using that.

I use it instead of procmail.

You will probably have to describe the exact problem and setup in order
to get useful information.  Such as is this "server" a machine you read
mail on, or one you pop mail from?  What ability do you have to run the
mail through anything?

Zebee

--

aus.motorcycles Poser Permit #1.
"Motorcycles are like peanuts... who can stop at just one?"

1. Real/Non-real time communication over Ethernet?

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem with real time/non real time data
communication, and I'm
hoping someone can help me. We have a real time process, which will be
running on
an embedded processor under RTLinux2.0 (Linux kernel 2.2.13).

This process is logging data from a set of sensors, and writing the data
to a file
or buffer, in real time. I'd like to be able to do online data
visualisation on
a host machine, connected to the embedded system via Ethernet. I figure
that
the real time process can write the data to a real time FIFO, and that a
non-real
time process (a normal Linux process running on the embedded processor)
can pull the data out of this buffer and send it over the Ethernet, as
time permits.
I would then have a data stream coming into the host, (running Linux or
Windows)
for which I ought to be able to find some tools to do pseudo-real time
plotting
(sort of like a 'scope on slow trace).

Has anyone done this sort of thing before, and if so, do you have any
example
code/hints/tricks? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Robert Sheridan

2. POSIX threads, thread-specific data: what about the "main" thread?

3. "Real-Time" Time Display in Console

4. Edit pdf

5. X Server Time is REAL time of day???

6. Trouble with wildcards in csh

7. System time warping around real time problem - please help

8. gnutar compatility between fbsd and linux

9. Mixed Time-Share & real-Time scheduling

10. How to profile in REAL time (not process-virtual time)

11. real time less than user time?

12. Console Graphics and Timing Events and Real Time programming

13. Solaris2.0/2.1 Real time "Fast" timing/scheduling