su to root without password

Post by naam » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi All

I want to make a script that will allow a user to create a newuser or to
change a user password.
so I do not want to give that user the root password, but without the root
login account he cannot
create a newuser. does anybody have any idea hoe to do it in the best way
without letting the
user login as root..

Thanks in Advantage

su to root without password

Post by Barry Margoli » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I want to make a script that will allow a user to create a newuser or to
>change a user password.
>so I do not want to give that user the root password, but without the root
>login account he cannot
>create a newuser. does anybody have any idea hoe to do it in the best way
>without letting the
>user login as root..

Get "sudo".

Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.

su to root without password

Post by Ken Pizzi » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I want to make a script that will allow a user to create a newuser or to
>change a user password.
>so I do not want to give that user the root password, but without the root
>login account he cannot
>create a newuser. does anybody have any idea hoe to do it in the best way
>without letting the
>user login as root..

Well... Assuming that you have a program/script which is secured
against any possible abuse (a glaring one: changing root's password),
you can either make it s-uid to root or run it under a program such
as "sudo".

                --Ken Pizzini

1. Unix ADM How to SU ROOT WITHOUT PASSWORD

You can also do......

root:ALL:NOPASS

in /etc/suath .  That allows all users to su root w/out a password. of
course, you should use a username instead of 'ALL' unless you are a TOTAL
dimwit......

--clifford smith

:>www.angelfire.com/id/midijazz in the Unix Section

: Hard-coding UIDs into the program is a horrible way to do this.  Wouldn't
: sudo be easier?

: --

: GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN, Burlington, MA
: *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
: Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

2. Diald, PPPD Timeout

3. How to SU ROOT without PASSWORD

4. Getting an ICQ Client Under Linux

5. A local root user can su to any NIS account without a password

6. NCSA Mosaic

7. su id without root password?

8. newbie to unix programming, help

9. Question: Is SU password the same as the root password?

10. differences between su root and su - root

11. su root: You do not have permission to su root ?

12. Solution: differences between su root and su - root

13. Su, without password prompt?