horizontal scroll

Post by Phil R Lawrenc » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:11:47

Does anyone know of a shell with horizontal scroll capabilities?  I prefer
to not wrap long lines (in SQL*Plus, for example), but rather to scroll
horizontally if need be.

None of my telnet/SSH clients seem to offer a horizontal scrollbar, so
perhaps there is a command line utility that will do it.

Thanks,
Phil R Lawrence

horizontal scroll

Post by Brian Hile » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:27:02

Quote:> Does anyone know of a shell with horizontal scroll capabilities?  I prefer
> to not wrap long lines (in SQL*Plus, for example), but rather to scroll
> horizontally if need be.
> None of my telnet/SSH clients seem to offer a horizontal scrollbar, so
> perhaps there is a command line utility that will do it.
> Thanks, Phil R Lawrence

Nope -- and I have personally investigated about 15 or 20 of them.
However, there are better ideas that implement yet another feature
into a shell: use a command line editor front-end. The ones I have
used or have some experience with are:

http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/utils/shell/fep-9612.tar.gz
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/utils/shell/cle-0.4.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.white.toronto.edu/pub/es/editline.shar
ftp://ftp.inria.fr/system/user/ile.shar.Z

There is, of course, GNU readline, but this is an embeddable
library, not an application.

Personally, I prefer the minimalistic, elegant approach exemplified
by "ile", but insofar as your application for it is concerned, YMMV.

Another technique, possibly, is to put your terminal emulator into
"wide mode" (120 characters). Most emulator software that has a
relatively complete VT102 emulation can support this. Make sure
you change the value of COLUMNS!

=Brian

horizontal scroll

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 20:33:58

Quote:>None of my telnet/SSH clients seem to offer a horizontal scrollbar, so
>perhaps there is a command line utility that will do it.

probably because the system you are connecting to has been instructed to
wrap or truncate lines at the same margin as your terminal.  what happens
if, after you login, you increase the system's notion of your terminal's
width, e.g., if your width is normally 80 use ``stty columns 100''?

--
okay, have a sig then