Mac/Unix shell needed (no, I dont have a mac...)

Mac/Unix shell needed (no, I dont have a mac...)

Post by Jeff Kram » Thu, 03 Feb 1994 13:43:18

I'm looking for a mac/unix shell (A unix shell for the mac)  It's not for
me, I have a real computer (:-)), it's for this french exchange student guy,
any help would be greatly appreciated, please e-mail me, I'll probably never
find my way back here... :-)

1. comp.sys.mac.misc comp.sys.mac.system comp.sys.mac.apps

We're looking for input on a decent Mac with ethernet to Unix file transfer
utility.  At present we're using the gatorbox, but the Appletalk speed is
clearly unsuited for our pruposes, that is transferring large sounds files
from the Mac to our Unix servers.  We have some Macs with Ethernet Cards,
and have tried uShare and InterCon's Mac NFS.  A quick summary of these two:

uShare runs on the Sun 4, and fires up some atp daemons that allow the Macs
on Ethernet to mount Unix disks.  However, it seems pretty buggy, prone to
crash and isn't all that easy to configure or use. But it's just one piece
of costly software that runs on the Sun.

Mac NFS lives on the mac, takes a bit of configuring to get running, but once
in place it seems to work.  However, it's over $200/pop, and that could get
pretty pricey, given the number of Mac at our site.

Does anybody have any experience with these products or their competitors?

this is YOUR CHANCE to contribute your wisdom for the good of all.  Your

Rick Kleffel

2. Parallel Printer does not work

3. NetBSD/Mac or other Mac PD UNIX

4. newbie - telnet question

5. How do I mount a Mac volume or export a partition to a Mac?

6. serial 'laplink' between 2 PC unusable !

7. MAC OS 9, MAC OS X and linuxppc 2000

8. Masquerading with SuSE 6.4 and T-dsl

9. ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac...! )

10. WINDOWS...TRYING TO EMULATE MAC FROM THE START -- & MAC stole idea from C-64

11. Windoze 95 ( Want a Mac Interface..?..get a Mac)

12. Using a Mac as CVS server, Linux and Mac clients

13. filtering users by mac address and limiting bandwidth to each mac.