global cshrc files ? (SUMMARY)

Post by Nis Peder Bon » Thu, 06 Aug 1992 18:51:06

In an article from Wed, 29 Jul 1992, I write

Quote:

> Is it possible to make global .cshrc-files for csh and tcsh,
> that are exec'd before the users own .cshrc-file ?

This is the conclusion:

NO. There seem to be no way to make csh or tcsh AUTOMATICALY invoke
a global cshrc-file under my OS (SunOS). Some other OS's (including
HP-UX and SCO) have the option.

YES. You can put a source of a global cshrc-file into each users own
~/.cshrc-file.

So what I did, was placing this line at the top of every users cshrc-file:
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^
                        source /etc/csh.cshrc

Of course the users are free to remove this line, but then it's up to them
to get things right.

Thanks for all the answers.

                                Bonde
--

Systemadministrator, Datakontoret, Aarhus University
Phone     : +45 86 20 27 11 ext. 4993

Monday    : 10-12
Tuesday   : 10-14
Wednesday :  9-11
Friday    : 12-13

1. global cshrc files ?

Is it possible to make global .cshrc-files for csh and tcsh,
that are exec'd before the users own .cshrc-file ?

My system is Sun 4/330 with SunOS 4.1.1

Hope this ain't a FAQ or RTFM-question.

Please answer by e-mail and I shall summarize to comp.unix.shell.

                                Bonde
--

Systemadministrator, Datakontoret, Aarhus University
Phone     : +45 86 20 27 11 ext. 4993

Monday    : 10-12
Tuesday   : 10-14
Wednesday :  9-11
Friday    : 12-13

2. xlc and <sys/dir.h> brain damage

3. How to terminate a global cshrc-file

4. LINUX & NETWORK LAYERS

5. global cshrc/login file?

6. What do I do?

7. How to terminate a global cshrc-file

8. recovering/resetting root password. ?

9. global .login/.cshrc without modify the user copy

10. How to make a global cshrc on Solaris

11. Wups, forgot something -- Re: [Q] global .login/.cshrc

12. SUMMARY .cshrc owned by ???

13. Seeking global authorization system (Summary)