Append to files in tar-file but don't change originals.

Append to files in tar-file but don't change originals.

Post by Robert Zawals » Wed, 12 Oct 1994 07:25:32

A usenet archive stocks thousands of files donated by the public in a
directory tree that is 4 layers deep.

The archive is available as one complete gzipped tar file, or as
individual files vi ftp.

The usefulness of adding the contents of a "Copying" file to the end
of each file in the tarfile (but not in the original collection) is
being considered.

Is there a way to do this using perhaps :
tar cf Fullset.tar `find . -type f -exec something \; -print`

That's just a shot. Please disregard it if there's a nicer way.
Creating a huge set of temp-files to be tarred and then deleted ust be
avoided, but using a temp file during the tar process would be okay.

Thanks,

1. how to append one file's line to another file's line?

I am not very farmiliar with UNIX. Now I met a problem. I want join two files
text line together. That's :

        line1 from file1        line1 from file2
        line2 from file1        line2 from file2
        .
        .
        .

I don't know if I can do this through shell scripts. the questions is I don't
know how to process another file in a shell scripts.

Thank you,

Bill.

2. linux on SGI indigo2

3. don't allow utime()/utimes() on immutable/append-only files

4. User authentication module

5. ftp'ng without changing original file date

6. Window-base Programs

7. How to extract file from 'uuencoded gzip tar file'?

8. Making lilo skip scanning IDE ports???

9. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

10. tar xzf file or tar -xzf file?

11. Apache don't the HEADER file and README file...

12. Scripting Help: tar a dir with time and date as file tar file name..................TIA

13. Does tar the same file to /dev/rmt/1n overwrite or append?