ZIP error Out of Memory (window allocation)

ZIP error Out of Memory (window allocation)

Post by shane » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:14:59

Hi All,
i'm hoping someone can shed some light on this error i'm getting. I am
running a SCO 5.0.5 system, i have a script which runs everynight which
zips about 3.5 GB worth of files and then ftp's to a remote server
which acts as a disaster recovery/backup system.

This script has been running fine for about 2.5 years, lately i have
been getting the following error:
ZIP error: Out of Memory (window allocation)
A system restart used to fix this issue but now makes no difference. I
did some research on the net but cannot seem to find anything on this,
any thoughts?

Cheers
Shane0

ZIP error Out of Memory (window allocation)

Post by Bill Marcu » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:57:16

On 27 Jun 2006 17:14:59 -0700, shane0

> Hi All,
> i'm hoping someone can shed some light on this error i'm getting. I am
> running a SCO 5.0.5 system, i have a script which runs everynight which
> zips about 3.5 GB worth of files and then ftp's to a remote server
> which acts as a disaster recovery/backup system.

> This script has been running fine for about 2.5 years, lately i have
> been getting the following error:
> ZIP error: Out of Memory (window allocation)
> A system restart used to fix this issue but now makes no difference. I
> did some research on the net but cannot seem to find anything on this,
> any thoughts?

Try gzip or bzip2, or add more memory?

--
The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will
walk carefully.

ZIP error Out of Memory (window allocation)

Post by Scott McMilla » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:26:27

Quote:>Hi All,
>i'm hoping someone can shed some light on this error i'm getting. I am
>running a SCO 5.0.5 system, i have a script which runs everynight which
>zips about 3.5 GB worth of files and then ftp's to a remote server
>which acts as a disaster recovery/backup system.

>This script has been running fine for about 2.5 years, lately i have
>been getting the following error:
>ZIP error: Out of Memory (window allocation)
>A system restart used to fix this issue but now makes no difference. I
>did some research on the net but cannot seem to find anything on this,
>any thoughts?

>Cheers
>Shane0

As Bill suggested, try gzip or bzip2 - You can get the precompiled
OSR5 binaries here:
ftp://ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr5/vols/gzip-1.2.4-VOLS.tar
ftp://ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr5/vols/bzip2-0.1pl2-VOLS.tar

One question for you: Is the resultant .zip file reaching the 2Gb
filesize limit?  That *may* produce the error you are seeing.

Scott McMillan

ZIP error Out of Memory (window allocation)

Post by shane » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:32:11

Quote:

> As Bill suggested, try gzip or bzip2 - You can get the precompiled
> OSR5 binaries here:
> ftp://ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr5/vols/gzip-1.2.4-VOLS.tar
> ftp://ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr5/vols/bzip2-0.1pl2-VOLS.tar

> One question for you: Is the resultant .zip file reaching the 2Gb
> filesize limit?  That *may* produce the error you are seeing.

> Scott McMillan

Hi Scot and Bill,
Thanks for the advice, i will run it manually tonight and see how big
the file gets before terminating, and i'll give gzip a run as well

I'll let you know

1. Memory allocation and de-allocation

Hi,

I have a simple C program that allocates a bunch of memory and free's it
immediately.
When I run this program, I do not see this memory being reclaimed by the
OS(as observed
by top-5.6). A similar program on Windows NT works as expected(i.e memory
usage
decreases when memory is free'd).

Any ideas why??

Appreciate any advise you can offer..

Regards,

// Here is a code snippet:

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    if (argc == 2)
     {
        int num_chunks = atoi(argv[1])/1000;
        char **buffer[1000];

        for (i=0; i<=num_chunks; i++)
         {
            buffer[i] = (char *) malloc(1000);
            free(buffer[i]);
         }
       return 0;
    }
  printf("Usage!! %s <memory size> \n",argv[0]);

2. Apache 1.3.9: default install, connection refused

3. memory allocation error

4. Forward packets from one system to another

5. sar -k shows memory allocation errors -- what now?

6. RH 6.1 & Internet dialup question

7. Memory allocation error while linking.

8. Changing resolution within a program

9. Memory allocation error entering function

10. PROBLEM: memory allocation error with token ring tms380/abyss modules

11. kernel 2.3.6 - memory allocation errors?

12. 2.5 kernel memory allocation errors

13. iptables Error - "Memory allocation problem"