- hex speed ATAPI CDROM under slackware

Post by Clinton Smit » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Long have i dreamed of running unix at home.
Linux has made this a reality.
I have loaded linux from the distribution CD onto my C: drive under DOS
and installed from the PCFS file system (/dosc)
All well and good...
The problem is that i cannot seem to get my Hex speed CDROM to talk to
linux.

I have experimented with the EIDE/ATAPI kernels that come with the CD
but to no avail.

Am i just attempting the impossible or can this be done?

The Drive is a Hitachi Hex speed IDE connected to the Primary channel of
the second IDE interface.

The System is a Pentium 166 although I Did not think this relevant.

I have written to hitachi and asked if they have a driver available,
Their response was that they did not but it _Should_ work :-(

Kind Regards,
Reply to :

or

Post by Mark D Stoc » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I have experimented with the EIDE/ATAPI kernels that come with the CD
> but to no avail.

I believe you have to re-link the kernal. There is a FAQ avaliable somewhere on this
subject. Perhaps one of the Linux news groups could give a more detailed reply.

Cheers,
--

Mark.

|Mark D. Stock - The West Solutions Group           http://www.west.co.za |
|                                                                         |

|Tel:   +27 11 803 2151  |If it doesn't work... force it!                 |
|Fax:   +27 11 803 2189  |If it breaks... it needed replacing anyway!     |
|Cell:  +27 83 250 2325  |Well, that's how I code anyway!                 |
+------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

Post by Norman K Scher » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

  > Long have i dreamed of running unix at home.
  > Linux has made this a reality.
  > I have loaded linux from the distribution CD onto my C: drive under DOS
  > and installed from the PCFS file system (/dosc)
  > All well and good...
  > The problem is that i cannot seem to get my Hex speed CDROM to talk to
  > linux.

  > I have experimented with the EIDE/ATAPI kernels that come with the CD
  > but to no avail.

  > Am i just attempting the impossible or can this be done?

  > The Drive is a Hitachi Hex speed IDE connected to the Primary channel of
  > the second IDE interface.

  > The System is a Pentium 166 although I Did not think this relevant.

  > I have written to hitachi and asked if they have a driver available,
  > Their response was that they did not but it _Should_ work :-(
  >
  > Kind Regards,
  > Reply to :

  > or

I sent you a mail message but somehow it got to a Colleen Smith at devetwa...

The crux of the matter is... I would advise you to go fishing in the
comp.os.linux news groups.  Maybe comp.os.linux.setup or comp.os.linux.hardware.

Norm

- hex speed ATAPI CDROM under slackware

Post by Clinton Smit » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Thanx to all replies, I will continue my quest in comp.os.linux etc.
Kind Regards,
Clinton Smith

1. Hex speed ATAPI EIDE CDROM - HOW

Long have i dreamed of running unix at home.
Linux has made this a reality.
I have loaded linux slackware from the distribution CD onto my C: drive
under DOS
and installed from the PCFS file system (/dosc)
All well and good...
The problem is that i cannot seem to get my Hex speed CDROM to talk to
linux.

I have experimented with the EIDE/ATAPI kernels that come with the CD
but to no avail.

Am i just attempting the impossible or can this be done?

The Drive is a Hitachi Hex speed IDE connected to the Primary channel of
the second IDE interface.

The System is a Pentium 166 although I Did not think this relevant.

I have written to hitachi and asked if they have a driver available,
Their response was that they did not but it _Should_ work :-(

Kind Regards,
Reply to :

or

2. Riddle Me This: What is Error 28224???

3. Atapi cdrom problem: wrong speed found by ide-cdrom

4. NFS mount, group limit (16)

5. Help: Creative Labs Hex Speed CDROM on second controller

6. First ipchains -- Did I get it right?

7. How to speed up the initialization of ATAPI CDROM drive?

8. Mandrake 6.1

9. NEC IDE/ATAPI Quad-speed CDROM Drive

10. slackware's setup program failing to find my atapi cdrom

11. HELP: Slackware 2.2.0 won't recognize my ATAPI/IDE CDROM drive

12. ATAPI CDROM with no IDE HDD in slackware 1.2.8

13. Slackware 3.0 installation doesn't see Aztech ATAPI CDROM