best sort

Post by neeraj.pra.. » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:27:03

given a data structure or a file, which we dont know is already sorted
, or 50% sorted , or totally sorted what will be best way to know that
file/data structure is already sorted, and if not sorted what sorting
algorithm wud produce best result.

the data/structure contains large amount of data ....

best sort

Post by Chris F.A. Johnso » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:59:42

> given a data structure or a file, which we dont know is already sorted
> , or 50% sorted , or totally sorted what will be best way to know that
> file/data structure is already sorted, and if not sorted what sorting
> algorithm wud produce best result.

> the data/structure contains large amount of data ....

    How large is "large"?

    What's wrong with 'sort'? Or 'sort -c'?

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson                     <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress

best sort

Post by John » Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:59:36

> given a data structure or a file, which we dont know is already sorted
> , or 50% sorted , or totally sorted what will be best way to know that
> file/data structure is already sorted, and if not sorted what sorting
> algorithm wud produce best result.

> the data/structure contains large amount of data ....

If you are asking about which algorithm to use,
rather than which command to use, then try

Otherwise, the command is sort (sort -c to check
whether a file is already sorted).

--
John.

best sort

Post by Robert Bono » Wed, 22 Jun 2005 02:38:47

>given a data structure or a file, which we dont know is already sorted
>, or 50% sorted , or totally sorted what will be best way to know that
>file/data structure is already sorted, and if not sorted what sorting
>algorithm wud produce best result.

>the data/structure contains large amount of data ....

See Knuth, vol. 3.   Or your course textbooks.

1. Best sorting util???

We need some advice (based on experience/use) on what Sort utilities are
good on Solaris (2.5.1). We will be using the sort to help us in loading
large files into an Oracle DB.

We are looking at SyncSort but are interested in others if there are
better.

Any help is appreciated (please email as well).
--
Frank Ober
ph: (510) 867-8630

TSG - Network Services * Pacific Bell

2. Idea: CLAN - The Comprehensive Linux Archive Network

3. best sorting alogrithms?

4. cc compiler errors

5. Best language, Best algo and Sorting huge lists

6. AWT Java programs dump core with Linux X-Display .....

7. sort sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting (4.1.3)

8. Font problems in Netscape 4.76 on SuSE7.1/kerel 2.4.0

9. sort: write error while sorting: No space left on device??

10. "sort" sorting uppercase/lowercase differently on different boxes

11. Sorting without "sort" ?

12. default secondary sort line in 'sort'

13. (sort | uniq) vs (sort -u)