Can't get [Backspace] key to register ASCII DEL

Can't get [Backspace] key to register ASCII DEL

Post by Ian Brand » Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:43:42

Hi,

I'm trying to get my backspace key to register as ASCII DEL (^?) a la
http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html.  I have edited my terminfo so
that infocmp reports "kbs=\177", but using the "C-v trick" or cat I
always get "^H" for [Backspace].

I've tried from several different situations, cygwin locally, cygwin
ssh'ed into Solaris and Linux.  Emacs eterm (term-mode) on Solaris
(remotely via X using Exceed).  All produce identical results.  In each
setup terminfo has kbs=\177.  I usually use bash, but I also tried
switching to ksh and zsh and got the same results (so I don't think it
is any shell bindings I have set).  $TERM looks right.  I have stty
erase set to ^?.  Is there anything else involved that requires
configuring or that could be overriding the terminfo settings?

TIA,

Ian

Can't get [Backspace] key to register ASCII DEL

Post by Bill Marcu » Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:38:23

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:43:42 -0400, Ian Brandt

> Hi,

> I'm trying to get my backspace key to register as ASCII DEL (^?) a la
> http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html.  I have edited my terminfo so
> that infocmp reports "kbs=\177", but using the "C-v trick" or cat I
> always get "^H" for [Backspace].

> I've tried from several different situations, cygwin locally, cygwin
> ssh'ed into Solaris and Linux.  Emacs eterm (term-mode) on Solaris
> (remotely via X using Exceed).  All produce identical results.  In each
> setup terminfo has kbs=\177.  I usually use bash, but I also tried
> switching to ksh and zsh and got the same results (so I don't think it
> is any shell bindings I have set).  $TERM looks right.  I have stty
> erase set to ^?.  Is there anything else involved that requires
> configuring or that could be overriding the terminfo settings?

Terminfo doesn't tell your terminal what to send, it tells applications
about your terminal.  Try "man xmodmap".

--
In memory of Hawley-Cooke Booksellers 1978-2003

Post by Keith Thompso » Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:22:26

> I'm trying to get my backspace key to register as ASCII DEL (^?) a la
> http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html.  I have edited my terminfo so
> that infocmp reports "kbs=\177", but using the "C-v trick" or cat I
> always get "^H" for [Backspace].

> I've tried from several different situations, cygwin locally, cygwin
> ssh'ed into Solaris and Linux.  Emacs eterm (term-mode) on Solaris
> (remotely via X using Exceed).  All produce identical results.  In
> each setup terminfo has kbs=\177.  I usually use bash, but I also
> tried switching to ksh and zsh and got the same results (so I don't
> think it is any shell bindings I have set).  $TERM looks right.  I
> have stty erase set to ^?.  Is there anything else involved that
> requires configuring or that could be overriding the terminfo settings?

terminfo tells applications how to deal with characters as they're
entered on the keyboard; it doesn't (and can't) affect the characters
sent when you type a particular key.

Similarly, "stty erase ^?" tells applications to treat the '\177'
character as erase, but doesn't affect how you enter that character.

You'll need to do something on a lower level, probably in your
terminal emulator.  Some versions of xterm have a "Backarrow Key
(BS/DEL)" option in the main menu; you can set it either manually in
that menu or via an X resource.  You may also be able to use xmodmap.

(As far as the "Consistent BackSpace and Delete Configuration" web
page is concerned, I don't mind if system implementers do whatever
they like -- as long as I can override the default configuration to
make the Backspace key send "^H", not "^?".)

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>

Post by Bob Marca » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:49:54

>>I'm trying to get my backspace key to register as ASCII DEL (^?) a la
>>http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html.  I have edited my terminfo so
>>that infocmp reports "kbs=\177", but using the "C-v trick" or cat I
>>always get "^H" for [Backspace].

>>I've tried from several different situations, cygwin locally, cygwin
>>ssh'ed into Solaris and Linux.  Emacs eterm (term-mode) on Solaris
>>(remotely via X using Exceed).  All produce identical results.  In
>>each setup terminfo has kbs=\177.  I usually use bash, but I also
>>tried switching to ksh and zsh and got the same results (so I don't
>>think it is any shell bindings I have set).  $TERM looks right.  I
>>have stty erase set to ^?.  Is there anything else involved that
>>requires configuring or that could be overriding the terminfo settings?

> terminfo tells applications how to deal with characters as they're
> entered on the keyboard; it doesn't (and can't) affect the characters
> sent when you type a particular key.

> Similarly, "stty erase ^?" tells applications to treat the '\177'
> character as erase, but doesn't affect how you enter that character.

> You'll need to do something on a lower level, probably in your
> terminal emulator.  Some versions of xterm have a "Backarrow Key
> (BS/DEL)" option in the main menu; you can set it either manually in
> that menu or via an X resource.  You may also be able to use xmodmap.

> (As far as the "Consistent BackSpace and Delete Configuration" web
> page is concerned, I don't mind if system implementers do whatever
> they like -- as long as I can override the default configuration to
> make the Backspace key send "^H", not "^?".)

Which key is BackSpace key?
Key labeled /---| with X inside?
             \---|

If you run xkeycaps, you can choose:
101 key, wide Delete, short Enter
101 key, wide Delete, tall Enter

Linux encijan.aster.si 2.4.20-19.9 #1 Tue Jul 15 17:18:13 EDT 2003 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
xev output:
KeyRelease event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
     root 0x3f, subw 0x0, time 70074875, (489,822), root:(494,845),
     state 0x0, keycode 22 (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), same_screen YES,
     XLookupString gives 1 bytes:  "

OSF1 gin.aster.si V5.1 2650 alpha
xev output:
KeyRelease event, serial 22, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
     root 0x25, subw 0x0, time 1041256121, (-525,128), root:(379,347),
     state 0x0, keycode 102 (keysym 0xffff, Delete), same_screen YES,
     XLookupString gives 1 characters:  ""

Same keyboard. ;-)

--

  Nade Ovcakove 1                       tel:    +386 (1) 5894-329
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia                      http://www.snt.si

1. Backspace key becomes ^H in mail, man, etc; DEL key becomes ^[[3

I've read some(most?) of the FAQ's on using the Backspace/DEL key,
but I think my problem is a little different and I'd be grateful for any
help.
Generally, running bash in an xterm, the Backspace/DEL keys works the
way I want it
to work. Same for vi.
However, in MOST command-line applications such as openssl, mail, man,
nslookup
the backspace key becomes a ^H instead of erasing the character before
the cursor
which is pretty annoying, especially since the DEL key turns into its
escape code
^[[3 for these same apps - no way to delete anything.
Does anybody know the solution to this problem or at least where to
start looking?

Thanks

Al

2. Thanks & questions

3. Can the BackSpace key send an ASCII Backspace (^H)?

4. Bad Frame Pointer

5. BACKSPACE & DEL keys on remte systems

6. tcsh: backspace anomaly??

7. Need help switching DEL & BACKSPACE keys

8. Help! Installer kernel bad! Installed kernel good!

9. Backspace acts like "Del" key

10. Netscape -- backspace/del keys not working

11. Del and Backspace keys

12. backspace, del keys mapping

13. Newbie question 02 - My DEL key acts as BACKSPACE