syntax to list file.[suf1,suf2,suf3...]

Post by Ralph Bar » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to figure out how to list files with wildly different
suffixes where something like file.[1-9][a-z] will not work. For example,
how does one list the likes of

        file.ax, file.fred, file.old

While the syntax is incorrect, what I am thinking is along the lines of

        ls file.[ax,fred,old]

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Ralph

syntax to list file.[suf1,suf2,suf3...]

Post by Ralph Bar » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> If your shell supports it:

>         ls file.{ax,fred,old}
> --

That's the one. I am using ksh and it does exactly what I want. Thanks.

Post by Dave Wotto » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I am trying to figure out how to list files with wildly different
>suffixes where something like file.[1-9][a-z] will not work. For example,
>how does one list the likes of

>    file.ax, file.fred, file.old

>While the syntax is incorrect, what I am thinking is along the lines of

>    ls file.[ax,fred,old]

>Any ideas ?

very close ...

in the csh ls file.{ax,fred,old} will do it.

Dave.

Post by Andreas Schw » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Ralph Bard writes:

|> I am trying to figure out how to list files with wildly different
|> suffixes where something like file.[1-9][a-z] will not work. For example,
|> how does one list the likes of

|>   file.ax, file.fred, file.old

|> While the syntax is incorrect, what I am thinking is along the lines of

|>   ls file.[ax,fred,old]

If your shell supports it:

        ls file.{ax,fred,old}
--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something

Post by John Hobso » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I am trying to figure out how to list files with wildly different
> suffixes where something like file.[1-9][a-z] will not work. For example,
> how does one list the likes of

>         file.ax, file.fred, file.old

> While the syntax is incorrect, what I am thinking is along the lines of

>         ls file.[ax,fred,old]

From the way you have stated the problem, it sounds like

        ls file.*

should work.

--
John Hobson             |Whenever someone says to me,
Unix Support Group      |"Have a nice day", I reply,

1. Syntax for listing multiple IPs in an .htaccess file

Hi,

All I've discovered about the syntax allowed for listing multiple IPs for
allow or deny in an .htaccess file goes like this:

Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from
 4.20.734. \
 12.29.116.138 \

etc

where 4.20.734 would allow through everyone from 4.20.734.0 to 4.20.734.999

Does anyone know how one would express something like this:

4.20.734.100 - 4.20.734.344

Trying to avoid writing out huge lists.

Has anyone tried including a link here to an SQL or LDAP server that would
hold the appropriate information?

Thanks

T. West

2. HELP! can't run xinit

3. Files listing, how to list only the 10 most recent files

4. X adversely affects internal modem (ttyS2)

5. vim Syntax file for SPEC files

6. Newbie + Linux PowerPCC r4.0 = big mess

7. syntax cmd awk to convert unix file to dos file

8. Qu: removable hard drives?

9. Listing files not in argument list

10. inline assembler error - porting Intel syntax to AT&T syntax

11. intel Syntax -> AT&T Syntax

12. AT&T asm syntax but not IBM asm syntax?

13. access.conf syntax error without a syntax error