Updating Man pages

Post by Chris Trembl » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I need to find out where you can get missing man pages. I am running
Rh 6.0 and did a "man profile" and lo and behold no man page!
Is it possible that it may be in another package compared to the
normal man pages upon installation?

Updating Man pages

There is no man page for "profile".  What were you trying to find out?

Post by User &am » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I need to find out where you can get missing man pages. I am running
>Rh 6.0 and did a "man profile" and lo and behold no man page!
>Is it possible that it may be in another package compared to the
>normal man pages upon installation?

1: check your manpath, it might not be configured correctly

2 find / -type d -name man and see what directories pop up.
  go to each and do ls -lR and see if anything is there.

As far as I know man pages are a standard part of any unix
or unixish install.

If that dont work try a BSD(free or open) they come with man
pages, personal preference only YMMV.

Good luck
marc

Updating Man pages

Post by AlasaMorp » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

In fact heres  the 1st part!!
sdsu# man profile

profile(4)                File Formats                 profile(4)

NAME
     profile - setting up an environment for user at login time

SYNOPSIS
     /etc/profile
     $HOME/.profile

DESCRIPTION
     All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login  command
     have  the  commands in these files executed as part of their
     login sequence.

     /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform ser-
     vices  for  the  entire  user  community.   Typical services
     include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the
     setting  of  default  environmental  variables.   It  is not
     unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for  the
     root login or the su command.

     The  file  $HOME/.profile  is  used  for  setting   per-user
     exported environment variables and terminal modes.  The fol-
     lowing example is typical (except for the comments):

          # Make some environment variables global
          export MAIL PATH TERM
          # Set file creation mask
          umask 022
          # Tell me when new mail comes in
          MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME
          # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence
          PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
          # Set terminal type
          TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid
          while :
          do
               if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ]
               then break
               elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ]
               then break
               else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2
               fi
               echo "terminal: \c"
               read TERM
          done
          # Initialize the terminal and set tabs
--More--(67%)

Does this help!!!

>Yes there is!!!!

>>There is no man page for "profile".  What were you trying to find out?

>>>I need to find out where you can get missing man pages. I am running
>>>Rh 6.0 and did a "man profile" and lo and behold no man page!
>>>Is it possible that it may be in another package compared to the
>>>normal man pages upon installation?

Updating Man pages

Post by AlasaMorp » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Yes there is!!!!

>There is no man page for "profile".  What were you trying to find out?

>>I need to find out where you can get missing man pages. I am running
>>Rh 6.0 and did a "man profile" and lo and behold no man page!
>>Is it possible that it may be in another package compared to the
>>normal man pages upon installation?

Updating Man pages

Post by Chris Trembl » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Supposedly there is on real UNIXes (Solaris and HPUX)
I just wanted to look at it.
I  installed pdksh and for some reason it won't see /etc/profile and
.kshrc either. Not sure why. Any ideas? I am going to repost on this
news group the question.
On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 14:10:04 +1300, "Peter Sundstrom"

>There is no man page for "profile".  What were you trying to find out?

>>I need to find out where you can get missing man pages. I am running
>>Rh 6.0 and did a "man profile" and lo and behold no man page!
>>Is it possible that it may be in another package compared to the
>>normal man pages upon installation?

1. Updating man pages

WHY do formatting macros appear on some of my man pages.  Especially after
I apply software updates.  What do I need to do to get unformatted man pages
formatted?  For example:

.TH SYSKLOGD 1 "28 January 1994" "Version 1.1" "Linux System Administration"
.SH NAME
sysklogd \(em Linux system logging utilities.
.LP
.SH DESCRIPTION

                                thanks

2. dual OS system

3. Updating Man Pages?

4. Why doesn't awk match both these lines?

5. Standard man pages to "Catted" man pages!

6. Q: Microsoft Mouse 2.1A problems

7. How to format BSD man pages (groff man) using "classical" troff man?

8. My clock is way too fast - how do I slow it down?

9. SLS update: missing man pages

10. Why aren't man pages updated by patches?

11. SuSE 7.1 - YOU update run, then Konqueror crashes on man or web pages, Kmail fails

12. HTML Help files (an updated set of man pages)

13. update Linux/IrDA man pages v0.5