Sending binary file via email from shell

Sending binary file via email from shell

Post by Sean W. Elli » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I want to send some tar files via email from the shell.  How do I send
it without it looking like garbage on the other end ?

UUencode it and put some header before it ?  Is there some functionality
to sendmail for this ?

Thank you,

Sean Ellis

Sending binary file via email from shell

Post by luckm.. » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I want to send some tar files via email from the shell.  How do I send
> it without it looking like garbage on the other end ?

> UUencode it and put some header before it ?  Is there some functionality
> to sendmail for this ?

Hello!

I'd use the mail command:

Ciao,
      Carsten

--
Carsten Luckmann
Department of Theoretical Physics

Post by Dan Merc » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I want to send some tar files via email from the shell.  How do I send
> it without it looking like garbage on the other end ?

> UUencode it and put some header before it ?  Is there some functionality
> to sendmail for this ?

> Thank you,

> Sean Ellis

I use mpack to mime encode and mail:

ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/linux/distributions/debian/hamm/...

Wrapped,  that's:

ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/linux/distributions/debian\/hamm/hamm/source/mail

--
Dan Mercer