bash & tcsh...

Post by Matt » Sun, 12 May 2002 23:36:24

hi...
i have to find an answer to this question:

What are the differences between bash and tcsh in the management of
enviroment variables???

I'm trying to find out with the man pages...

I'm not asking that someone does my homework....
 just that if someone knows...without doing any particular effort...

please post some ideas/hints... that i can developp...
(a complete solution is welcome too...why not?)

Thanks,
Matt

bash & tcsh...

Post by Bruce Barnet » Mon, 13 May 2002 04:56:48

> hi...
> i have to find an answer to this question:

> What are the differences between bash and tcsh in the management of
> enviroment variables???

Some hints:
 bash: setting variables and setting environment variables is the same command.
        But in one case an extra step is needed.
 tcsh: uses different commands

 tcsh: has two variable names. One upper case. One lower case.
        They have different formats when setting them
        Also has an easy way to specify directories in a range (i.e. 5-7)
        This can be used to insert a directory in the middle of a search path.

Current directory:

 One uses "." and the other uses ""

bash & tcsh...

Post by Matt » Tue, 14 May 2002 00:06:31

Thanks so much for your help...

Now i got a lot of more things to say...

just a personal question:
does it work??
i'll put it on my mailbox too...

Quote:> Sending unsolicited commercial e-mail to this account incurs a fee of
> $500 per message, and acknowledges the legality of this contract.

> > hi...
> > i have to find an answer to this question:

> > What are the differences between bash and tcsh in the management of
> > enviroment variables???

> Some hints:
>  bash: setting variables and setting environment variables is the same
command.
>         But in one case an extra step is needed.
>  tcsh: uses different commands

>  tcsh: has two variable names. One upper case. One lower case.
>         They have different formats when setting them
>         Also has an easy way to specify directories in a range (i.e. 5-7)
>         This can be used to insert a directory in the middle of a search
path.

> Current directory:

>  One uses "." and the other uses ""

> --
> Sending unsolicited commercial e-mail to this account incurs a fee of
> $500 per message, and acknowledges the legality of this contract.

1. bash & tcsh

Hi...
I got find an answer for this question:

What's the difference between bash and tcsh in the management of the
enviroment variables ???

Any comment/help are welcome.

Please... know that answering this message it will help an entire a poor
students class...

2. rmap VM, 12a

3. BASH & TCSH

4. Xconfig for ViewSonic6 and Diamond SpeedStar

6. HDD pb

7. Pipping stderr in bash - like |& in tcsh

8. Modifiying inittab

9. Are tcsh and bash available for the AT&T 3b1?

10. tcsh & bash on Server 7

11. type ahead problem in bash-1.12 & bash-1.13.4

13. Bashing bash (Was Re: bash or user error with set -e and subshells)