why "find ... ! -fstype nfs .. " does not work?

why "find ... ! -fstype nfs .. " does not work?

Post by Jame » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 06:24:13

Hi all,

I want to search for core dump files across the whole filesystem.
The command line is
pdossudo find / -name core ! -fstype nfs -print

However, during command executing, it keeps freeze at
"NFS server foobar not responding still trying"
There is even no time-out, so I have to kill -9 theprocess.

I wondered why "! -fstype nfs" is not effective and where I should
check NFS setup.

Many thanks,

James

why "find ... ! -fstype nfs .. " does not work?

Post by Stephane CHAZELA » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 06:45:24

2006-06-21, 14:24(-07), James:
Quote:> Hi all,

> I want to search for core dump files across the whole filesystem.
> The command line is
> pdossudo find / -name core ! -fstype nfs -print

> However, during command executing, it keeps freeze at
> "NFS server foobar not responding still trying"
> There is even no time-out, so I have to kill -9 theprocess.

> I wondered why "! -fstype nfs" is not effective and where I should
> check NFS setup.

[...]

It doesn't prevent find from descending into directories over
NFS, it just tells it not to print the path of the files there.

find / -fstype nfs -prune -o -print

But, if there's a non-NFS filesystem mounted in a NFS mounted
file system, you'll miss it (like /home over NFS but /home/local
over /dev/dsk/...)

--
Stphane

Post by Jame » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 02:51:26

> 2006-06-21, 14:24(-07), James:
> > Hi all,

> > I want to search for core dump files across the whole filesystem.
> > The command line is
> > pdossudo find / -name core ! -fstype nfs -print

> > However, during command executing, it keeps freeze at
> > "NFS server foobar not responding still trying"
> > There is even no time-out, so I have to kill -9 theprocess.

> > I wondered why "! -fstype nfs" is not effective and where I should
> > check NFS setup.
> [...]

> It doesn't prevent find from descending into directories over
> NFS, it just tells it not to print the path of the files there.

> find / -fstype nfs -prune -o -print

Where should I put the "-name core" expression?
before or after "-o"?

Quote:

Post by Steffen Schule » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 06:51:30

>>2006-06-21, 14:24(-07), James:

>>>Hi all,

>>>I want to search for core dump files across the whole filesystem.
>>>The command line is
>>>pdossudo find / -name core ! -fstype nfs -print

>>>However, during command executing, it keeps freeze at
>>>"NFS server foobar not responding still trying"
>>>There is even no time-out, so I have to kill -9 theprocess.

>>>I wondered why "! -fstype nfs" is not effective and where I should
>>>check NFS setup.

>>[...]

>>It doesn't prevent find from descending into directories over
>>NFS, it just tells it not to print the path of the files there.

>>find / -fstype nfs -prune -o -print

> Where should I put the "-name core" expression?
> before or after "-o"?

>>But, if there's a non-NFS filesystem mounted in a NFS mounted
>>file system, you'll miss it (like /home over NFS but /home/local
>>over /dev/dsk/...)

find / -fstype nfs -prune -o -name core -print

why "find ... ! -fstype nfs .. " does not work?

Post by Stephane CHAZELA » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 06:13:43

2006-06-22, 10:51(-07), James:
[...]
Quote:>> find / -fstype nfs -prune -o -print

> Where should I put the "-name core" expression?
> before or after "-o"?

[...]

After

See man find for details.

--
Stphane

1. Why "fdisk /dev/hdb1" works but not "fdisk /dev/hdb"!?

Hi,
        I am trying to make linux partitions on an empty second 170MB
Hard drive.  The drive has been low-level formatted, with
no partitions, and dos fdisk reports everything correct.  I
boot from slackware diskettes, and boot msg says:

check partitions:
hda:  /dev/hda1
hdb: bad partition table

Of course, "fdisk /dev/hdb" does not work, nor "fdisk /dev/hdb1".
(err msg: Unable to read /dev/hdxx).  Suprisingly, fdisk /dev/hda
also gives the same message.

Now, I go back to dos, create and dos format a 16MB partition on
the second hard drive.  Boot under slackware, and boot msg says:

check partitions:
hda: /dev/hda1
hdb: /dev/hdb1

Now, "fdisk /dev/hdb" still gives "unable to read /dev/hdb" msg,
but "fdisk /dev/hdb1" allows me into fdisk.  Unfortunately, it
gives total garbage when I print out contents of partition table
within fdisk (/dev/hdb11 through /dev/hdb12 are all defined with
physical/logical boundry errors).  But as "fdisk /dev/hdb1"
should not work, as /dev/hdb1 is a partition and not a device,
I am not suprised.  But why does fdisk try to operate on a
partition, but not let me operate on the device /dev/hdb????

Help! At wit's end... Any suggestions appreciated, as I am
getting nowhere.  I just want to create linux partitions
on my second hard drive (and I have no problems creating dos
partitions on that drive, so the drive seems to be recognized
find...).

thanks in advance,
Brad Miller

2. Signal 8 ????

3. "find" and "locate" commands not working, linux RH5.2

4. Can only Access the Internet from server

5. Has ANYONE gotten cmdtool to work?

7. Wanted: netwatch for AIX?

8. "Can Not Find Qt Dirs" while building KDE, any ideas why not?

9. anonymous ftp, why is "ls" working and why not?

10. Why it's call "Linux" and not "GNU/Linux"

11. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?