why I can't I trap sig 19 (sigstop) in bash

why I can't I trap sig 19 (sigstop) in bash

Post by sto » Thu, 03 Nov 1994 14:06:11

I'm writing a shell script( in bash) which has a kermit script in it
with a suspend command. The problem arises that the suspend command
which is in the kermit script not only suspends kermit but it suspends
the calling shell script. I have played around and decided that maybe I
could trap signal 19 so that the shell script wouldn't be suspended.

Right now I have...

        #! /bin/bash
        trap "" 19    #ignore sigstop
        kermit.script #call kermit script with suspend command in it
        echo "done"   #script never gets to this point

What am I doing wrong with the trap command or is there no way to trap
19 or does someone have another suggestion?

thank
-stos

why I can't I trap sig 19 (sigstop) in bash

Post by Chet Ram » Thu, 10 Nov 1994 02:51:25

Quote:>I'm writing a shell script( in bash) which has a kermit script in it
>with a suspend command. The problem arises that the suspend command
>which is in the kermit script not only suspends kermit but it suspends
>the calling shell script. I have played around and decided that maybe I
>could trap signal 19 so that the shell script wouldn't be suspended.

>Right now I have...

>    #! /bin/bash
>    trap "" 19    #ignore sigstop
>    kermit.script #call kermit script with suspend command in it
>    echo "done"   #script never gets to this point

>What am I doing wrong with the trap command or is there no way to trap
>19 or does someone have another suggestion?

Look at `man signal'.  SIGSTOP and SIGKILL cannot be caught or
ignored.

Is there a proper fixed bash on any of the FTP sites out there?

I know there bash is on the usual sites but I don't know if they are
bugged or not :(

Regards,

Neil.

--

------------------------------------| Edinburgh, EH14 2DE, United Kingdom
**Domino: There`s nothing you can do when you`re the next in line: Domino**

2. Problem starting Apache1.3.22

3. ksh: trap '...' exit int ... or just trap '...' exit?

4. Broadcast using TCP/IP sockets, how to do?

5. : Emacs-19.19 can't find term file

6. DNS connection problems.

7. Kernel trap 19 with NMI

9. 2.4.20(-pre4) traps and 2.4 19

10. Bash traps - while emitting ERR trap

11. Why: perl -e <<'EOF' doesn't work (bash)

12. Bash doesn't trap cntl-c while reading .profile

13. Why Is there no 'apachctl' command on my Apache 1.3.19?