Any coding standards for shell scripts?

Post by Tim Ree » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

In our ongoing SEI effort, we need to specify coding standards for
shell scripts. Does anyone know if any documents exist that we could
model our's from? Any help would be appreciated.

email is preferred.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Reed

If you think there is good in everyone, you haven't met everyone

: ========================================================================
: Tim Reed

: If you think there is good in everyone, you haven't met everyone
: ========================================================================

You will have to supply more information as to what constitutes the criteria
for coding standards, for shell scripts (portability, functional library
maintainence and standards, maximum speed, etc, etc)

Now if you are talking about portability issues (and this is usu the
main reason as to why bourne (and korn) scripts are used), and FWIW,
there is a comprehensive appendix in the back of "The kornshell
Programming Language" that lists the syntactic conventions to use and
avoid throughout _many_ different versions of bourne shell and korn
shells. Possible this would be a good place to start. Anyone else out
there?

-Brian

--
   ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.
  /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \

__,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.__

1. Any coding standards for shell scripts?

In our ongoing SEI effort, we need to specify coding standards for shell
scripts. Does anyone know if any documents exist that we could model
our's from? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Reed

If you think there is good in everyone, you haven't met everyone

2. Any Microsoft advocates wish to confirm (or deny) this?

3. shell code compiler (shell script -> C code)

4. SDS says "Needs maintenance" when nothing's wrong. How to clear?

5. Script coding standard?

6. Disk DMA access problem after changing motherboard

7. Shell Scripting Standards

8. network configs pls help

9. changing standard input in Korn Shell script

10. A shell scripting standards document

11. Published shell scripting standards

12. [Fwd: Shell Scripting Standards]

13. Change standard output within a shell script