Logging finger attempts on one's account

Logging finger attempts on one's account

Post by Ily » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

 How do I log finger attempts on my account? I understand I can not find
 out the userid of someone only if they are on a local, not remote machine.
 I know that I have to make my .plan file a "named pipe" to do that. I do
 not know if fingerd will accept a non-plain .plan file. My .project file,
 which is what I would normally use for that purpose, is owned by root and
 I can not use it. Do I need a named pipe and will my and other systems
 recognize it? Any suggestions are appreciated.

 I tried putting this in .plan file but it did not work:

# .plan
#!/bin/sh

echo " This is my plan ..."

echo -n "fingered " >> /home/ibelooze/.finger_log
date >> /home/ibelooze/.finger_log
/usr/bin/w  | grep finger >> /home/ibelooze/.finger_log
echo >> /home/ibelooze/.finger_log

 uname -a
 SunOS rucs2 5.4 Generic_101945-29 sun4m sparc

Logging finger attempts on one's account

Post by Per Kistle » Mon, 04 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi

Normally finger requests are logged by root via the tcpd. Can't
you arange that the sysadmin also wants to have a log for security
reasons, and as a side effect let's you view it?

Bye, Per.
--

Per Kistler, Zuerich, Switzerland.

http://www.micro.biol.ethz.ch/~pkistler

Logging finger attempts on one's account

Post by Illtud Dani » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

[note followpus]

Quote:>Hi

>Normally finger requests are logged by root via the tcpd. Can't
>you arange that the sysadmin also wants to have a log for security
>reasons, and as a side effect let's you view it?

tcpd simply logs & controls connections, and will log no information
about _who_ is being fingered, thus is of limited use for users
wanting to discover who's interested in them.

Try another fingerd if you're in a position to install it.

--

X "I was born outta time" Napoleon Wilson          -read Mr Nice-   FFPGP

Post by Richard Do » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Hi

: Normally finger requests are logged by root via the tcpd. Can't
: you arange that the sysadmin also wants to have a log for security
: reasons, and as a side effect let's you view it?

: Bye, Per.
: --

: Per Kistler, Zuerich, Switzerland.

: http://www.micro.biol.ethz.ch/~pkistler
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Per, try out this script:

<-- Cut here -->

#!/bin/perl

if($pstat[8] > $pstat[9]) {
  print "You were fingered since last login.\n";

Quote:} else {

  print "You have not been fingered since last login.\n";
Quote:}

exec("touch $plan");

<-- Cut here -->

This gets executed from the .login or .kshrc, .cshrc etc etc.  I know it's
simple, and doesn't show whom you were fingered by, but at least you get
an idea of it.

Logging finger attempts on one's account

Post by Paul Morris » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have a slackware server running on a machine (PC)

I need to get the server to connect to Windows 95.

Please can you help

E-Mail

Post by William Juli » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I have a slackware server running on a machine (PC)

> I need to get the server to connect to Windows 95.

> Please can you help

> E-Mail

take a look at the SMB (samba) linux howto. Tells all.

--
         _,'|            _.-''``-...___..--';
        /, \'.      _..-' ,      ,--...--'''

  __...--''     __...--_..'  .;.'       http://www.catmanor.com/moonbeam/
 (,__....----'''      (,..--''
 vi is my shepherd; i shall not font.

Post by Ivan A. Beverid » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: I have a slackware server running on a machine (PC)
: I need to get the server to connect to Windows 95.

Yep - the packages you want are Samba (currently 1.9.16pl9) and smbfs
(currently 0.7).
Samba: ftp://nimbus.anu.edu.au/
Smbfs: ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/

Sorry - can't remember full paths. Samba will allow you to create a Lan
Manager (type) server under Unix (as well as containing an ftp-like client
to access Lan Manager type file/print systems). Smbfs is like NFS, but using
NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

The Windows box must run TCP/IP.

Good luck.

Ivan
--

Post by David Doug » Sun, 17 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>I have a slackware server running on a machine (PC)

>I need to get the server to connect to Windows 95.

>Please can you help

>E-Mail

Samba is the way to go..  I just finished configuring it for slackware 96 and
it works fine with win95 and win311 (I haven't tried NT yet)

Here are some notes I made

Installing samba
Download latest version
read INSTALL.txt
edit /source/Makefile
uncomment the line for your brand of Linux with or without shadow passwords
edit the top of the makefile and decide where you want to put things such as
samba.conf (I didn't change anything except for smb.conf put in /etc/)
Change workgroup to your Win95 workgroup name
type make in the source directory
It took 15 minutes to compile on 486sx 50 with 8-meg (that sucks!)
make install (install binaries and man pages)
Either cp the smb.conf file to the correct directory or install the one you
backed up if you have one
Edit the smb.conf
Use testparm to test smb.conf
Next edit your /etc/inetd.conf and add two lines something like this:
Note:   you may already have this in there if so you might have to change the
path or just copy smbd and nmbd to the correct directories probably /usr/sbin/

netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd
reboot
This is assuming you want to run it from inetd.conf

Start up Win95 and right click on Network Neighborhood and do a find computer
type in the ipaddress or host name Linux server.

If this doesn't work ping the Linux server from Win95 to make sure you have
networking configured properly. you may have to edit the Win95 hosts file.

Make sure you get the smb.conf file right or none of this will work.

Here is some of my smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = workgroup
   printing = bsd
   read only = no
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = pcguest   ;make sure pcguest is on your system as a user
[DavesDir]
   comment = Everything
   path = /
   valid users = root dave
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no

One more thing,  when you log on to Win95 machine make sure you log on as root
or whatever you use in Linux

1. How to know who 'finger'ed my account?

hi all!

I want to know if there is a way to know who has 'finger'ed my account. i
have heard that there are programs which do that. Does any body have any
idea / have the program to accomplish that? I would sure appreciate your
response.
Thanks in advance!
chethan

2. USB driver

3. AIX 4.3 PPP setup question

4. finger returns "no one logged on" problem

5. Accessing ntfs partition from RH 7.1

6. finger...no one logged on???

7. Mail Forwarding

8. FINGER says no one logged in when using Konsole!?!?!?

9. How does one log finger info ?

10. internal masq'd clients being logged as connection attempts?

11. w/who/finger don't work correctly with PPP accounts

12. Logging failed log-in attempts