looking for a GUI for shell program.

Post by ch.. » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi

I've witten a program consisting of several shell scripts using sh/bash.
But am thinking now of providing a X graphical interface for this shell
program.  Any recommendations?

I'm thinking if I use motif (or similar), then I'll end with each action
on a widget giving calls like exec("shell_script_A") which is quite ugly

Of course, I can rewrite everything in tcl/tk, Java Swing, C/Motif, etc.
But I am just wondering if there's a faster way.

pip

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by David Lod » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I've witten a program consisting of several shell scripts using sh/bash.
>But am thinking now of providing a X graphical interface for this shell
>program.  Any recommendations?

Try looking into dtKsh, basically it's ksh93 with X windows primitives

dave

Post by brian hile » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>>I've witten a program consisting of several shell scripts using sh/bash.
>>But am thinking now of providing a X graphical interface for this shell
>>program.  Any recommendations?
> Try looking into dtKsh, basically it's ksh93 with X windows primitives

Depending on your programming experience (and you hint that you have
already programmed with Tcl/tk,) it just may easier for you to use tksh:
tcl/tk under ksh93 -- and it's non-commercial.

http://www.kornshell.com/software/

-Brian

Post by Juhapekka Tolvane » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I've witten a program consisting of several shell scripts using sh/bash.
> But am thinking now of providing a X graphical interface for this shell
> program.  Any recommendations?

If curses is enugh, try out a software called "dialog".

--

-- http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/ * * * * " STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW !! " --
"I don't want to run a company. I'm not good at managing people. You have

1. Looking for a user friendly gui fax program

Hi,
    I have been looking at some fax programs for Linux.
I am presently running mostly Redhat 6.1, 6.2 and
at times Mandrake 7.0 and 7.2.
 I have tried installing hylafax and a graphical front end with
no success. I tried xfax and when I brought up the interface,
there seems no way to receive faxes only send them. It
seem tedious to try to use the shell fax programs efax and efix.
It doesn't seem like a great program for business purposes.

                                                            Thanks
                                                                    Mike

2. List of available fonts and iso10646-1 fonts

3. Looking for a GUI development program

4. more than one inode per device?

5. Bash/shell programming + gui

6. Secure Shell (SSH) - commercial or free - available for AIX??

7. gui ftp program? (or gui frontend for ncftp?)

8. HP-UX: determining total physical memory

9. Looking for Screen Splitting program for shell enviroment

10. Looking for a good Korn shell programming book

11. New to UNIX...looking for good resources in shell programming

12. Looking for shell programming tutorial in Internet.

13. Looking for good shell programming reference book (sh, not csh)