rsh never returns to prompt - SIGTTIN

Post by James Christopher Hur » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I would appreciate any help on this one.

I execute a rsh to stop an informix database prior to raw backup.  The
rsh to take it down works fine, however, when I execute the following
line to restart the database - the database starts but the rsh never
returns:

# rsh HOST "su - informix -c \". /opt/informix/.profile; setsrv
INSTNAME; oninit\""

If I then use CTRL-Z and bg to put it in the background and execute jobs
- it reports Stopped (SIGTTIN).  I've tried using -n option to rsh,
redirecting /dev/null to stdin (inside the -c portion and to rsh itself)
and have run out of ideas.

MUCH APPRECIATED!
Chris Hurt

1. Delay in rsh returning to prompt?

I have a 486 Linux box connected to an IBM RS/6000 by 10Base2. a command
such as "rsh walter ls" performs the ls on walter (linux) by takes about
a minute to return to the command prompt. From walter the command "rsh hs
ls" returns immediatly after performing the ls. Why? "rsh walter" drops
me into a shell with no delays and there is no delay upon exiting.
My kernel and network code is from Slackware 2.02 (kernel 1.1.54).

Thanks in advance,
Walter

2. Shell TIME function. Please help !

3. rsh does not return: rsh -n spica /etc/init.d/autofs start ?

4. Want to know more about Linux.

5. Removing password prompt for rsh and rexec

6. Solaris 2.6 not accepting network connections

7. rsh works on the ksh prompt but not in a shell script

8. XF86Config for Packard Bell with ATI Rage IIC video card ?

9. prompted password when I rsh locally

10. rsh problem: lost prompt

11. ersh - rsh frontend hack returning exit status of remote cmd

12. rsh doesn't return control - WHY?

13. command containg " ' ' " performed via rsh returns error