refresh xterm

Post by Michael Rhode » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 05:52:18

When I close a file in an xterm window, the contents of the file still
show in the window.  Instead, I would like the window to re-display the
previous unix commands.  I've used HPUX 10.2 on two different machines,
and this works on one but not on the other.

How can I set this up?

Thanks,

Mike

refresh xterm

Post by Keith Thompso » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:08:19

> When I close a file in an xterm window, the contents of the file still
> show in the window.  Instead, I would like the window to re-display the
> previous unix commands.  I've used HPUX 10.2 on two different machines,
> and this works on one but not on the other.

> How can I set this up?

Termcap supports two escape sequences, called "ti" and "te".
Normally, the "ti" sequence includes "\E[?47h" and the "te" sequence
includes "\E[?47l", where "\E" is escape (there may be other
characters to control cursor position).  The "ti" sequence normally
switches to the alternate buffer, and the "te" sequence switches back
to the normal one.  An application that uses curses will normally emit
"ti" on entry and "te" on xterm.

The xterm program has an X resource called "titeInhibit".  If this is
set, it causes xterm to ignore those escape sequences.

Also, the termcap entry you're using may or may not include the "ti"
and "te" entries.  (The attribute have different names under terminfo;
I don't remember what they're called.)

Check your X resources and your termcap entry.

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center           <*>  <http://www.sdsc.edu/~kst>
Cxiuj via bazo apartenas ni.

1. pasting from xterm to Netscape kills xterm

If I have text in an xterm, that I want to paste into Netscape, I
highlight it, and use the middle mouse button to paste.  This used to
work just fine.  Then we recently swapped around some hardware,
including my RS/6000 (a 43P-140 if that helps).  Now, the text does not
get pasted, and the xterm dies.

This happens in Netscape 4.05 and 4.5; I don't have other versions
easily available.  Window manager is mwm.  AIX oslevel is 4.2.1.0.

Clues?  (Upgrading the OS is not an option.)  Other info needed?

Thanks!

--
Dave Aronson, Sysop, AirNSun (f120.n109.z1.fidonet.org) +1-703-319-0714
Opinions MINE, not by GeoCities/Template/Mensa/NRA/SCA/CAUCE/USGov/God!

2. XDM Login Failures

3. How do I autoset "TERM=xterm" for xterms?

4. Install SCO on Compaq Aero

5. xterm, run a process, keep xterm open

6. Multiple servers

7. xterm: how to open a new xterm and run telnet

8. Easy home file transfer

9. xterm, visualbell off, slooowwww xterm flash

10. xterm &, run a setup script, xterm won't stay on

11. Linux/NCD Xterms and Xterm serial port

12. Xterm BugFix: XTerm doesn't "eightBitInput" unter NetBSD

13. How Cron job open Xterm window and display outputs to this xterm?