unix command for mouse control

Post by dipu bhask » Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:41:47

HI

   Is is possible to control the mouse from a terminal?(or is there any command
to interface with mouse)

dipu

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:50:04

> HI
>    Is is possible to control the mouse from a terminal?(or is there any command
> to interface with mouse)

With Linux yes, you can use gpm, but this is a unix ng, surounding programming
various unix shells.

GPM(8)                                                                     GPM(8)

NAME
       gpm - a cut and paste utility and mouse server for virtual consoles

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

Post by Stephane CHAZELA » Tue, 30 Sep 2003 06:34:03

>    Is is possible to control the mouse from a terminal?(or is there any command
> to interface with mouse)

What do you mean exactly?

Under X, you can play with the mouse selection buffer and or
cutbuffers with xprop, xcutsel.

awk "BEGIN {`xprop -root -notype CUT_BUFFER0`;print CUT_BUFFER0;exit}"

In some X terminals, there are escape sequences to control mouse
(that's how you can position the cursor within vim, elinks or
slrn).

See the ctlseqs.ms doc file in xterm source distribution.

For instance, with the shell, you can do:

#! /bin/sh
# (POSIX shell assumed)
ots=$(stty -g)
stty -icanon min 1 time 0 -echo
printf '%b%s' '\033[?9h' 'Please hit either mouse button.'
set -f; IFS=' '; set $(od -An -j3 -N3 -tu1)
printf '\nYou hit mouse button %d at coordinate (%d,%d)\n' \
  $(($1 - 31)) $(($2 - 32)) $(($3 - 32))
stty "$ots"

--
Stphane

1. Command editing inside a Unix command

Several years ago, I heard about a program that lets you do command
editing inside commands such as ftp, nslookup,.. (Would work like tcsh
but inside the command). If anybody has information, I would greatly
appreciate getting it.

Thank you very much.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
 Thanks, Ghaouar Camij Toschian,

 http://www.domainmart.net/InternetAccess/buildings.htm
 http://www.istanbulexpress.com/oldsite/sweetener.html

2. Dynamic IP + PPP + dialup without X?

3. how to use execvp() to execute Unix commands with "|" piped commands?

4. Init problem

5. CAN I FTP FILES FROM UNIX TO NOVELL SERVERS USING THE UNIX COMMAND LINE???

6. Addresses / Kpilot

7. Is there a unix command to display unix user account expiry, inactive expiry

8. Problems with monitor switch

9. Need to convert DOS to UNIX with a *limited* set of UNIX commands

10. Need a UNIX expert to create a new UNIX command

11. type a control char on command prompt

12. Don't like linux mouse control

13. Providing multiple command line (telnet) interfaces to control an application