means?

Post by rao » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 00:02:02

what does

Quote:> /dev/null mean?

and how do i reverse it?
would < /dev/null be right?

means?

Post by Rick L » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 00:38:56

 what does

 > /dev/null mean?

That means that something (whatever is in front of the ">" symbol) is
getting redirected to /dev/null - meaning it's getting redirected to
nothing, getting erased, being dropped off the face of the earth, etc.

You can change the redirection and put < /dev/null but be carefull what you
are redirecting /dev/null to because it will erase whatever it is getting
pointed to.

means?

Post by Roger Zimmerman » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:31:08

"Rick L." schrieb:

Quote:> You can change the redirection and put < /dev/null but be carefull what you
> are redirecting /dev/null to because it will erase whatever it is getting
> pointed to.

In many OS the phrase " < /dev/null" returns immediately EOF. If you need some
"kind of nothing" then try " < /dev/zero", this gives you hex 0 until the end
of daysof you cut the input stream.

Roger

means?

Post by Al » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 16:23:27

Quote:

> what does

> > /dev/null mean?

> and how do i reverse it?
> would < /dev/null be right?

<SNIP>

Means ... you dint bother to read any thing about Unix..
Heiner Steven has put lots of tutorials on the web.
www.shelldorado.com

Bother to go thru them and spare the group.
-Al

1. What's each newsgroup meant to ?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question (I really thik so, but I had to
ask anyway).

I'm almost new to newsgroups and I just joined all the linux groups, but
just the group name is not enough of an explanation.

Which kind of topics are treated in each group ?
I think that a thousand messages a day is something really hard to
digest, so I'd like to restrict meself to what I can handle.

Any help will be appreciated.
Please, replies by e-mail (I don't want to flood the group with useless
stuff like this question).
--
Alex Ramirez-Bellido                    |  "Daddy, what does <formatting drive c mean?>"
Computer Science, FIB-UPC (Spain)       |

2. KDE crash?

3. what does /dev/pts means?

4. / filesystem corrupted

5. What is the meaning of this boot-time message?

6. LIlo problems

7. Meaning of "status of mouse fd"

8. xlock source patches for shadow password

9. What does this error mean?

10. Error starting "startx"- What does it mean??

11. What does eth0 warning no MII transceiver mean?

12. What does "dumping core" mean?

13. What means this error message in opening window !!