contents of tar.Z files

Post by qazm » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:12:06

When I requested for the Source code for a book, I received a file
called
"DPC.tar.Z"

The procedure to get the files was given with 5 steps. The first 2
steps are read as
1. Save the file in dp.uu and strip everything from before the begin
and after the last end.
2. uudecode it to create DPC++.tar.Z

I didn't understand what to do particularly for step1. What does the
first step refer to? What commands should I use for that?

Thanks!

contents of tar.Z files

Post by Bill Marc » Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:27:06

On 27 Jul 2002 19:12:06 -0700,

>When I requested for the Source code for a book, I received a file
>called
>"DPC.tar.Z"

>The procedure to get the files was given with 5 steps. The first 2
>steps are read as
>1. Save the file in dp.uu and strip everything from before the begin
>and after the last end.
>2. uudecode it to create DPC++.tar.Z

>I didn't understand what to do particularly for step1. What does the
>first step refer to? What commands should I use for that?

You say that you received a file; if your mail program recognized it as
an attachment, and saved it with that name, then you can skip steps 1 and 2.
Note: the instructions refer to the name DPC++.tar.Z.  "+" signs are
allowed in Unix file names, but not in Windows.  If you are running
Windows, you might need a different version of that file.

contents of tar.Z files

Post by s. keeli » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:43:21

Quote:> When I requested for the Source code for a book, I received a file
> called
> "DPC.tar.Z"

> The procedure to get the files was given with 5 steps. The first 2
> steps are read as
> 1. Save the file in dp.uu and strip everything from before the begin
> and after the last end.
> 2. uudecode it to create DPC++.tar.Z

Bizarre.

The file extension ".Z" (capital "z") means the compress program was
run on the output (of the "tar" command).

On the most primitive of Unixes, try:

   cat DPC.tar.Z | uncompress | tar xf -

On modern Unixes (with Gnu tar?), try:

   tar xzf DPC.tar.Z

You might first want to try:

   tar tzf DPC.tar.Z

to find out what is in DPC.tar.Z before you open it up.

The other poster's reply about Windows (and its pathetic filename
conventions) may certainly also apply.

(*)  TopQuark Software & Services.  Contract programmer, server bum.
- -  Give up Spammers; I use procmail.      www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
How to quote: http://learn.to/quote (Ger.) http://quote.6x.to (Eng.)

contents of tar.Z files

Post by Andreas K?h?r » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:02:12

Submitted by "s. keeling" to comp.unix.shell:

>> When I requested for the Source code for a book, I received a file
>> called
>> "DPC.tar.Z"

>> The procedure to get the files was given with 5 steps. The first 2
>> steps are read as
>> 1. Save the file in dp.uu and strip everything from before the begin
>> and after the last end.
>> 2. uudecode it to create DPC++.tar.Z

> Bizarre.

Why?  An UU-encoded file is pure ASCII.  Ideal to send though
e-mail.  Ten years ago.

Quote:

> The file extension ".Z" (capital "z") means the compress program was
> run on the output (of the "tar" command).

> On the most primitive of Unixes, try:

>    cat DPC.tar.Z | uncompress | tar xf -

Useless use of cat.

uncompress -c DPC.tar.Z | tar xf -

or

uncomress < DPC.tar.Z | tar xf -

or

gzip -dc DPC.tar.Z | tar xf -

--
Andreas K?h?ri
Stable, secure, clean, free:  www.netbsd.org

contents of tar.Z files

Post by s. keeli » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 04:48:11

> Submitted by "s. keeling" to comp.unix.shell:

> >> When I requested for the Source code for a book, I received a file
> >> called
> >> "DPC.tar.Z"

> >> The procedure to get the files was given with 5 steps. The first 2
> >> steps are read as
> >> 1. Save the file in dp.uu and strip everything from before the begin
> >> and after the last end.
> >> 2. uudecode it to create DPC++.tar.Z

> > Bizarre.

> Why?  An UU-encoded file is pure ASCII.  Ideal to send though
> e-mail.  Ten years ago.

I must have been half asleep reading this.  You're right, of course.

Quote:> >    cat DPC.tar.Z | uncompress | tar xf -

> Useless use of cat.

More of the same.

(*)  TopQuark Software & Services.  Contract programmer, server bum.
- -  Give up Spammers; I use procmail.      www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
How to quote: http://learn.to/quote (Ger.) http://quote.6x.to (Eng.)

1. display the file contents of a large tar.Z file

I have a very large tar.Z file which I only display its file contents.
The steps I want to do are
1. gunzip bsmbld1210pkgd.tar.Z
2. tar tvf bsmbld1210pkgd.tar > bsmbld1210filecontent

However, step 1 fails because bsmbld1210pkgd.tar is too large to fit
in my hard disk.
This does not work either:
gunzip bsmbld1210pkgd.tar.Z | tar tvf -
gunzip bsmbld1210pkgd.tar.Z | tar tvf f -

Please help.
Thanks.

2. Robotx

3. last / logs

4. How to view tar contents w/o un-tar'ing?

5. Configuring IP Tables

6. How get contents of tar file on tape?

7. Building the m4 macro processor. Help!!

8. Wanted: rcmd host tar x_?_vqf file.tar file1 ... fileN | tar xvf -

9. tar xzf file or tar -xzf file?

10. Scripting Help: tar a dir with time and date as file tar file name..................TIA

11. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

12. Extracting files with tar and uncompress fails with tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary