NAWK, arrays and /tmp

Post by Kim Kelln 266-94 » Mon, 07 Nov 1994 17:44:46

I have a NAWK program that parses large data files (60-120 MBytes) and
gathers statistics based on occurances of key words and phrases. I parse
several of these large files, gathering statistics into associative arrays
and output the results when done. I've noticed, however, that whenever
space in /tmp gets tight, the program aborts with a regexp error. Anyone
have some knowledge about how NAWK is handling its arrays? Is it using
/tmp as a temporary bucket while it sorts things out or does it use it
as a repository if memory is getting short?

---
Kim Kelln
Applied Terravision Systems Inc.

--
Kim Kelln         Applied Terravision Systems Inc.   Tel: (403) 266-9419

                  Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2P 4H2

1. /tmp vs /usr/tmp vs /var/tmp

:Please help me understand temp directories.  I know what /tmp is for,
:and I know that /var/tmp is like /tmp only it is not normally cleared
:at boot-time.  But then what is /usr/tmp for?  or aren't /usr/tmp and
:/var/tmp usually used in the same implementation?

/usr/tmp and /var aren't normally in the same implementation.

--

 InterNIC WHOIS: MJO | (has my PGP & Geek Code info) | Phone: +1 248-848-4481

2. Q:Linux version for NeXT computers

3. nearly there with an nawk array...

4. Linux on CD

5. splitting nawk output into ksh array

6. Cpq Proliant 5000

7. nawk problem, HELP!, for (index in array) { print index; }

8. Capitalization problem! Is there a workaround?

9. Multi - Dimensional arrays in nawk

10. two simple nawk questions, Sunos 4.1.2 and nawk

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. How to limit the use of /tmp and /var/tmp by arbitrary users

13. Why is there /tmp in addition to /var/tmp.