Associate BACKSPACE key to 'erase' permanently

Associate BACKSPACE key to 'erase' permanently

Post by Curious Fello » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:22:45

How do I permanently  bind the erase action to the backspace key in
the Korn shell?  Putting this line in my '.profile' file isn't working
for me:

stty erase ^h

I'm a newbie using Aix, and occasionally Solaris, and using putty as
my terminal.  Help  please.  Thank you.

Post by base6 » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:54:29

> How do I permanently  bind the erase action to the backspace key in
> the Korn shell?  Putting this line in my '.profile' file isn't working
> for me:

> stty erase ^h

stty erase control-vBackspace-key

Assuming your .profile is being used....

Quote:

Post by DZifch.. » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 05:55:05

> How do I permanently  bind the erase action to the backspace key in
> the Korn shell?  Putting this line in my '.profile' file isn't working
> for me:

> stty erase ^h

> I'm a newbie using Aix, and occasionally Solaris, and using putty as
> my terminal.  Help  please.  Thank you.

You will either need to logout and log back in, in order for the
changes to take place, or you can source in your profile without
logging out by issueing the following command: . .profile

Post by Jon LaBadi » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:16:46

> How do I permanently  bind the erase action to the backspace key in
> the Korn shell?  Putting this line in my '.profile' file isn't working
> for me:

> stty erase ^h

> I'm a newbie using Aix, and occasionally Solaris, and using putty as
> my terminal.  Help  please.  Thank you.

Permanently?  You probably can't.
That stty command binds the erase action to control H,
the ASCII backspace character.
Some terminal's backspace keys do not output a ctrl-h.
ksh has no control over that.

Post by glj » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:00:23

>> How do I permanently  bind the erase action to the backspace key in
>> the Korn shell?  Putting this line in my '.profile' file isn't working
>> for me:

>> stty erase ^h

>stty erase control-vBackspace-key

>Assuming your .profile is being used....

>> I'm a newbie using Aix, and occasionally Solaris, and using putty as
>> my terminal.  Help  please.  Thank you.

Thanks.  However, I typed it in to the .profile file (which is being
read) logged out and logged back  in but it didn't work.   It was in
an AIX 5.2 box.  Any ideas why it didn't work and are there other
alternatives?

Post by base6 » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:41:39

>> How do I permanently  bind the erase action to the backspace key in
>> the Korn shell?  Putting this line in my '.profile' file isn't working
>> for me:

>> stty erase ^h

>> I'm a newbie using Aix, and occasionally Solaris, and using putty as
>> my terminal.  Help  please.  Thank you.

> Permanently?  You probably can't.
> That stty command binds the erase action to control H,
> the ASCII backspace character.
> Some terminal's backspace keys do not output a ctrl-h.
> ksh has no control over that.

They all have a backspace key, and that's really what he's
talking about.

Post by base6 » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:41:53

>>> How do I permanently  bind the erase action to the backspace key in
>>> the Korn shell?  Putting this line in my '.profile' file isn't working
>>> for me:

>>> stty erase ^h
>> stty erase control-vBackspace-key

>> Assuming your .profile is being used....

>>> I'm a newbie using Aix, and occasionally Solaris, and using putty as
>>> my terminal.  Help  please.  Thank you.

> Thanks.  However, I typed it in to the .profile file (which is being
> read) logged out and logged back  in but it didn't work.   It was in
> an AIX 5.2 box.  Any ideas why it didn't work and are there other
> alternatives?

Put a set -x on the second line of your .profile and, in your home
directory, type ". ./.profile" and examine the output.

If it works, log out and back in and see if the same thing occurs.

Either way, you should know what's going on.

Post by Jon LaBadi » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:06:22

>>> How do I permanently  bind the erase action to the backspace key in
>>> the Korn shell?  Putting this line in my '.profile' file isn't working
>>> for me:

>>> stty erase ^h

>>> I'm a newbie using Aix, and occasionally Solaris, and using putty as
>>> my terminal.  Help  please.  Thank you.

>> Permanently?  You probably can't.
>> That stty command binds the erase action to control H,
>> the ASCII backspace character.
>> Some terminal's backspace keys do not output a ctrl-h.
>> ksh has no control over that.

> They all have a backspace key, and that's really what he's
> talking about.

But ^h, control-h, may not be what his backspace key sends.

It is easy enough to check whether the stty command took effect,
just type stty.  It will report what some settings are, including
the erase setting.

As the OP is using putty, go into the putty configuration panel,
to "terminal" -> "keyboard".  There you can see/chose what is
sent by the putty backspace key.

I'm guessing the configuration is set to send an ASCII DEL char
rather than a BS char.  Change the configuration or use a different
stty erase command that matches the configuration.  For example,
DEL would be stty erase ^?

Post by base6 » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:34:59

>>> Permanently?  You probably can't.
>>> That stty command binds the erase action to control H,
>>> the ASCII backspace character.
>>> Some terminal's backspace keys do not output a ctrl-h.
>>> ksh has no control over that.

>> They all have a backspace key, and that's really what he's
>> talking about.

> But ^h, control-h, may not be what his backspace key sends.

Yeah, I realize that.

Quote:

> It is easy enough to check whether the stty command took effect,
> just type stty.  It will report what some settings are, including
> the erase setting.

Yeah, I realize that, also.

Quote:

> As the OP is using putty, go into the putty configuration panel,
> to "terminal" -> "keyboard".  There you can see/chose what is
> sent by the putty backspace key.

Yeah, I know you can map keyboards.

Quote:

> I'm guessing the configuration is set to send an ASCII DEL char
> rather than a BS char.  Change the configuration or use a different
> stty erase command that matches the configuration.  For example,
> DEL would be stty erase ^?

Guess all you'd like :)

1. Mapping Backspace with '^H' erase character in X

Hi Linux'ers

Im trying to map my backspace key so that it erases (right to left)
instead of doing a rubout/delete (not a ctrl H character) so that I can
use the backspace key in netscape/Star Office etc

How does one do this, as elementary as it souns!?

TIA

Dan

2. PC-WEEK news nedded

3. 'filec' does strange things when backspace key used

4. network mointoring per protocol

5. Netscape Backspace - Can't erase!

6. Red Hat Linux Unleashed ONLINE!

7. backspace doesn't erase

8. MMDF and bounced mail?

9. Where's my backspace key?

10. Can't use backspace key in Netacape 1.12 in X

11. Can't get [Backspace] key to register ASCII DEL

12. backspace key doesn't work

13. KDE's Konsole, Screen and Backspace Key