Comment character in tcsh

Post by Edward Arthu » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:52:23

Hi,

I've been using bash for the past 8 years however now I am made to use
tcsh.  Probably the most annoying this is that I cannot use the comment
character from the command prompt.  Sometimes I'll reverse search for
a command to recall and then just before executing it I'll comment it out
with # and hit return.  This works fine in bash, in tcsh it tries to execute
#cmd.

bash % #man who
bash %

tcsh % #man who
#man: Command not found.
tcsh %

I know, if that's the least of my worries what am I complaining about...

Thanks,
/Ed

1. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

Is there any straightforward way to compare file modification dates
(i.e. which is older/newer) using tcsh built-ins?  I know ksh has the
"file1-nt" file2 and "file1-ot file2" operators for boolean expressions,
but I can't seem to find any relatively simple way of performing the
same comparision in tcsh, other than using sed/awk to extract the two
files' date fields from their "ls -l" listings and attempting to
lexographically compare two strings.

Thanks.
Ben West

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. What ethernet card for minimal hassles? Also, what video card

3. Shell(tcsh) version of ncd: comments requested

4. Problem with NFS can mount from laptop not from a desktop.

5. tcsh tty comment syntax

6. X Video Modes - Minor Problem

7. Comments in tcsh-Scripts?

8. RedHat and Jaz

9. Legal Comment character in /etc/passwd

10. Meta characters in tcsh

11. tcsh files with special characters

12. How to enter high-bit characters in UTF-8 with tcsh?

13. ?tcsh and 8-bit characters