csh alias fails on AIX

Post by Jerry Natowi » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 19:27:49

I have a csh alias that works perfectly on SunOS 4.1.3, but fails occasionally
on AIX 3.2.4.  The alias is "ls -l \!* | more".  When it fails on AIX I get
a message about being stopped for TTY output.  I haven't gotten one recently
so I can't be sure, but I think it is more that gets stopped.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
--

1. csh: if-then-else-endif in csh alias?

: I am converting some Korn Shell scripts to Csh.

Leave them in ksh.  Especially if they work.

: The Korn Shell scripts have some simple shell functions that use
: if-then-else-fi control structures in them. Is there no way to do
: this with a Csh alias? I know that you can do plain one-line if
: constructs in a Csh alias, but the bug in the pudding comes when
: I try to do the then-else-endif.

That's because you can't do one-line if-then-else-endif constructs in
csh.  You just can't.  It's impossible.  Same goes for foreaches.

Don't write shell scripts in csh.  It's broken.  Really.  It should've
never gotten out in the first place.  There's a detailed FAQ.

--Dave

2. 2 hard-drives

3. Virii on vger.kernel.org lists

4. aliases, aliases, aliases...

5. How to secure dial in line

6. script alias problem - Re: apache alias and script alias problem

7. C compiler and debugger for AMD 29K

8. csh: alias and nested quotes!!! :-(

9. Building an awk alias in (t)csh

10. ** Question for complex alias in csh ***

11. Aliases in Csh

12. csh aliases with block if statements