RESULT: your favourite shells.

Post by Roger Espel Lli » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 15:18:59

>Here are the results as of 27/02/95:

>zsh   |13|xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>tcsh  | 7|xxxxxxx
>ksh   | 5|xxxxx
>bash  | 4|xxxx
>rc    | 2|xx
>goosh | 1|x

what the #$(*&)$#(* is "goosh" ????

Quote:>sh    | 0|
>csh   | 0|
>It's also interesting to note that I got 75% of
>the zsh votes within the first day.

>I'm rather suprised at the popularity of zsh -
>before I got on this group I'd never heard of it,
>it is overloaded with features, and isn't POSIX
>compliant.

and it's a bit buggy too, tends to do weird things when its stdin
is a pipe.... but i use it and wouldn't change it for any of the others :)

Quote:>I'm also somewhat suprised at tcsh - but I'm not
>going to start a flame-war (I'm biased to sh).

it's just very well-known, and does the things people ask a shell for
immediately (arrow keys, stuff like that)... too bad bash isn't as
popular, as it does them too and is not broken

Quote:>I'm glad to see the world has ditched sh and csh...

who isn't ...

--
Roger Espel Llima              \        I'm sitting in the fireplace
45, rue d'Ulm                   \       burning up my time

Post by Zefr » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 11:25:55

>goosh | 1|x

What's goosh?

Quote:>It's also interesting to note that I got 75% of
>the zsh votes within the first day.

Maybe Zsh is so efficient that it results in its users reading news before
users of other shells can?  :-)  Seriously, I think that Zsh's minority status
results in defensive, or maybe evangelistic?, feelings in its users, resulting
in them being quick off the mark.  Btw, I was one of those that voted for Zsh.

Quote:>I'm rather suprised at the popularity of zsh -
>before I got on this group I'd never heard of it,

You did ask on the newsgroup.  Those that answered are therefore also readers
of the newsgroup, and will, in general, know about the only shell with a FAQ.

Quote:>it is overloaded with features,

Not really.  It does have a lot of features, but these make it a very powerful
interactive/scripting shell.  It is not excessively large.

Quote:>                                and isn't POSIX
>compliant.

Which shells are?  It's not a problem.

Quote:>Perhaps I should have asked for a twenty word
>description of why people like their shells...

That would have been interesting.

Quote:>I'm also somewhat suprised at tcsh - but I'm not
>going to start a flame-war (I'm biased to sh).

I'm not.  tcsh is fairly nice interactively.  I wouldn't want to program for
it, though.

Quote:>I'm glad to see the world has ditched sh and csh...

I still use sh for programming, in order to be portable, as do many others.  I
don't see that as "ditching".  I see what you mean about csh, though.  That
ought to be RSA'd, tr'ed with random arguments, and piped to /dev/null.  :-)
It's interesting to note that Richard Coleman (the Zsh maintainer) uses csh as
the login shell for his second account.

Quote:>PS: and what do I use you may ask?  I didn't cast my
>vote above, but I use bash.

bash is a good shell.  I started off using it, and the fact that it is sh
compatible is a big advantage when it comes to programming for sh.  I became
*ed to the tab-completion, and then found Zsh...

-zefram

Post by Richard Colem » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 16:42:04

:  I still use sh for programming, in order to be portable, as do many others.  I
:  don't see that as "ditching".  I see what you mean about csh, though.  That
:  ought to be RSA'd, tr'ed with random arguments, and piped to /dev/null.  :-)
:  It's interesting to note that Richard Coleman (the Zsh maintainer) uses csh as
:  the login shell for his second account.

Oh wow, now people are starting to spread * rumors about me :-)  Actually
since I'm the sysadmin at our site, I keep a second account using csh for test
purposes, since that's what everyone here uses.  I haven't been able to convince
the whole department to switch to zsh (yet) :-)

:
:  bash is a good shell.  I started off using it, and the fact that it is sh
:  compatible is a big advantage when it comes to programming for sh.  I became
:  *ed to the tab-completion, and then found Zsh...

I also once used bash.  I consider it my second choice to zsh.  To me, they
seem to have the most natural interactive feel.  But that's just my
opinion. I guess it's just a matter of what you are the most familiar with.
But for serious scripting (real work), I typically use perl and sh
(think portability).

Richard Coleman

RESULT: your favourite shells.

Post by Roger Johnss » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 21:41:18

Hi!

I'm interessted in lerning about zsh, but i don't have access to the man-pages.
Does anybody know of any place where i could get them?

Thank's in advance

Roger Johnsson

ELLEMTEL Utveklings Aktiebolag

RESULT: your favourite shells.

Post by Roger Marqu » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 13:55:33

I don't know for polls but running 'ypcat passwd | grep $shell | wc -l'
on Netcom yields:

        $shell     accounts   %
        ------     --------   --
        /bin/csh:   26528    79%  (default shell)
        tcsh:        3938    12%
        ksh:         2052     6%
        bash:         757     2%
        /bin/sh:      411     1%  (don't ask me ;-)
        zsh:           48     .01%
        ------     --------   --
        total:      33717   100%

Roger Marquis

RESULT: your favourite shells.

Post by Don Ro » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 02:58:02

At CenterLine:

        132     tcsh
        99      csh     (default)
        12      ksh
        3       bash
        3       zsh

A small sampling...

Post by Hrvoje Niks » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 00:06:53

> You did ask on the newsgroup.  Those that answered are therefore also readers
> of the newsgroup, and will, in general, know about the only shell with a FAQ.

Bash has an FAQ too.  It is not posted periodically to the group, but comes
with the documentation, and is not as nice as the zsh FAQ.  Grr.

Quote:> >                                and isn't POSIX
> >compliant.
> Which shells are?  It's not a problem.

Bash is close.

Hrv
--
Hrvoje Niksic                |

http://www.srce.hr/~hniksic/ |  University of Zagreb, Croatia

RESULT: your favourite shells.

Post by Victor G. Marsha » Sat, 11 Mar 1995 05:54:28

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the problem with csh?

[deleted]
: >zsh   |13|xxxxxxxxxxxxx
: >tcsh  | 7|xxxxxxx
: >ksh   | 5|xxxxx
: >bash  | 4|xxxx
: >rc    | 2|xx
: >goosh | 1|x
: >sh    | 0|
: >csh   | 0|

: >I'm glad to see the world has ditched sh and csh...

: who isn't ...

: --
: Roger Espel Llima              \        I'm sitting in the fireplace
: 45, rue d'Ulm                   \       burning up my time
: 75005 Paris France               \      (King Crimson, VROOOM)

In all that you do,             Victor Marshall

Howard University               Computer Learning
School of Engineering           and Design Center
Washington DC 20059, USA
                http://www.cldc.howard.edu/~vgm/

RESULT: your favourite shells.

Post by Vincent Zoonekyn » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 07:20:43

Victor> Excuse my ignorance, but what is the problem with csh?

Victor> [deleted]
Victor> : >zsh   |13|xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Victor> : >tcsh  | 7|xxxxxxx
Victor> : >ksh   | 5|xxxxx
Victor> : >bash  | 4|xxxx
Victor> : >rc    | 2|xx
Victor> : >goosh | 1|x
Victor> : >sh    | 0|
Victor> : >csh   | 0|

Victor> : >I'm glad to see the world has ditched sh and csh...

Victor> : who isn't ...

I think you should say 'problems' and not 'problem'.
I cannot list all of the here. Who can ?

csh  is not a shell for programmers. (despite of its name, you cannot
program with it. To write a script one should use a Bourne Shell. )

It is neither a shell for users (is it pleasant, or readable to type
!! to get the last command ? I personnally prefer using arrow keys.)
Maybe it is a shell for SysOps. That is for people who neither
understand nor use UNIX.

To frighten folks out here, I give you the stat for our system.

 437 csh
 226 zsh
  14 ksh
  12 tcsh
   4 sh

(Those you use /bin/sh launch another shell, zsh if possible in their
.profile)

-- Vincent.

RESULT: your favourite shells.

Post by Zefr » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 09:44:21

At the CS department here:

  93 /bin/sh (includes system usercodes)
  42 /bin/csh
  35 /dev/null (suspended peeps)
 336 /gnu/bin/bash (default)
 154 /usr/local/bin/tcsh
   7 /usr/local/bin/zsh
   1 /usr/ucb/finger

The actual usage of zsh is somewhat higher than 7.  I know at least 3 people,
including myself, that use /bin/sh and have "exec zsh" in their .profile.

-zefram

1. Favourite shell scripts

I am just getting into shell scripting.
If anyone has shell scripts of which they are especially proud,
or scripts that they feel accomplish something worthwhile,
or scripts which they feel demonstrate well the scripting
capabilities of their shells, I would be very grateful
if you would post your all-time gems.

So -- please post your favourite shellscripts.
(apart from perl)

2. DIP-Script for annex available?

3. Favorite BASH shell book/URL/resource?

4. Linux routing, bridging, and assorted stuff. [LONG]

5. An exercise for your favorite shell

6. bash menu-completing dir1 for dir1/dir2 (like in zsh)??

7. Favorite Shell?

8. Getting started

9. assign variables a result from a command in c-shell

10. retrieve an SQL request's result in a shell

11. The shell ping to host repeatly and mail me a result

12. Korn Shell ?: results from an FTP or REXEC command?

13. Result passing in Bourne shell