Probe lpt port

Post by Michael Hac » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I am running SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 with Boundless multiconsole stations at 50
remote locations.

I have a shell script which changes default printer settings (e.g. from PPDS
to PCL).  The printer may be connected to any of 5 lpt ports at remote
locations, and I want the port details transparent to the user running the
shell script.

Is there a way I could probe the lpt ports to find which one the printer is
connected to, and then run the PJL codes to set the printer?

TIA
Michael

1. LPT port puts out -3.3V not 5V

Hi there

I read the coffee mini howto and it told me howto control the output of my
parallel port. I used this to control my fishtank lights. Everything was
good until I moved the system to a different computer (the old one broke)
and then the relays no longer switched. I measured the "on" voltage from pin 2
of the parallel port (the same one that worked before) and it said the
voltage was -3.3V not 5V like it was on the old computer. Is there some
register I have to set or something to make it work better.

I have changed the bios setting for the parallel port to "NORMAL" the
other options were ecp and epp. I tried those too but the result was the
same.

the basics of the mt program are as follows

// something

ioperm(0x378, 3, 1);      // get permision for the LPT port
outb(1,0x378);            // turn on pin 2
usleep(10000);
ioperm(0x378, 3, 0);      // close the port

// something else

I have a Gigabyte motherboard, GA-6VTXE-A, there is a block diagram in
the manual and the thing that connects to the LPT port is "VIA VT82C686B"

Can you help, or point me in the right direction for help?

Thanks a lot in advance

Robert
remove "nospam" to reply

2. another good book on lex/yacc?

3. LPT port access library

4. Multiple OS's sharing the same "/"

5. checking IR-detector status via LPT-port?

6. need info on minumum hardware?

7. Lightbox - light LEDs when there's new mail...uses LPT port

8. 3Com 3C905 and Compaq BIOS

9. Printing to a PC's LPT port via Telnet session.

10. write and read LPT-Port

11. program lpt port by root after boot

12. Disappearing LPT port

13. 2 printers on 1 lpt port