How to view tar contents w/o un-tar'ing?

How to view tar contents w/o un-tar'ing?

Post by Digital Pue » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi, is there a way to view what is in a tar file without actually
un-tar'ing (expanding) the tar file?

I've tried tar vt file.tar, but the tar program instead looks
at /dev/rmt/0, which I presume is a typical mount point for a tape.

How to view tar contents w/o un-tar'ing?

Post by Paul D. Smi » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

  dp> Hi, is there a way to view what is in a tar file without actually
  dp> un-tar'ing (expanding) the tar file?

  dp> I've tried tar vt file.tar, but the tar program instead looks
  dp> at /dev/rmt/0, which I presume is a typical mount point for a tape.

Lordy.  Man pages are your friend!

If you want tar to look at a file, you have to use the "f" option:

  $ tar tvf file.tar

Just like you'd need the "f" option to extract it:

  $ tar xf file.tar

     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.

Post by v.. » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

: Hi, is there a way to view what is in a tar file without actually
: un-tar'ing (expanding) the tar file?

: I've tried tar vt file.tar, but the tar program instead looks
: at /dev/rmt/0, which I presume is a typical mount point for a tape.

tar tvf file.tar

The 'f' specifies the file you want to perform the operation on.

--

Having a child keeps your priorities straight. You know that you'll never
waste a prayer on anything frivolous again.

Post by Sean O'Har » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hi, is there a way to view what is in a tar file without actually
> un-tar'ing (expanding) the tar file?

> I've tried tar vt file.tar, but the tar program instead looks
> at /dev/rmt/0, which I presume is a typical mount point for a tape.

Try this

tar tvf file.tar

the f is used for specifying a file or device which is not the default.

Cheers
Sean

Post by J.M. Pad » Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00

>Hi, is there a way to view what is in a tar file without actually
>un-tar'ing (expanding) the tar file?
>I've tried tar vt file.tar, but the tar program instead looks
>at /dev/rmt/0, which I presume is a typical mount point for a tape.

tar -tvf *.tar | more

Regards,

"The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone
was the founder of civilization.
  --Signmund Freud (1856-1939)

Post by sa » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>>Hi, is there a way to view what is in a tar file without actually
>>un-tar'ing (expanding) the tar file?

>>I've tried tar vt file.tar, but the tar program instead looks
>>at /dev/rmt/0, which I presume is a typical mount point for a tape.

>tar -tvf *.tar | more

>Regards,

this gets you what files are in the tar - if your question was, how do
i find the contents of the files INSIDE the tar file without untarring
- with GNU,

tar -xv --to-stdout <your file inside the tar> | less -ri

--to-stdout may also be -o or -O

or something similar

1. Tar and Un-Tar

   >Hi Unix gurus,
   >I am using Linux and OpenStep on my intel machine with sharing one
   >home directory.  For back-up I did TAR my home directory(about 600M)
   >to one xxx.tar file.   After UN-TAR of xxx.tar I lost about 50M of
   >files and directories.  I think those are still in the TAR file.  I
   >tried UN-TAR on both Linux and OpenStep. I also tried TAR and
   >GNUTAR. Please give me any suggestions to get those missing files.
Have you tried 'tar -tf xxx.tar' to see what is in there?  How do you know
that 50M is missing?  If you had a lot of small files, an uncompressed tar
would take at least 1K for each file.

And could you please turn this off?
   >-- NewsGrazer, a NeXTstep(tm) news reader, posting --
   >M>UQR=&8P7&%N<VE[7&9O;G1T8FQ<9C!<9FUO9&5R;B!#;W5R:65R.WT*7&UA
(15 more lines of uuseless uucode deleted)
Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

2. arguments for shell script

3. un-tar src.tar.gz problem

4. Need Menu System for Linux

5. help--can't un-tar archives

6. simpleroot22.fs on a DECstation 5000/25 doesn't boot

7. un-tar-ing to a different folder

8. creating my own finger command

9. Looking for a better 'tar' than 'tar'

10. Problem: un-tar file after FTP - Suggesions Needed

11. tar -xvf mozilla.tar = tar: directory checksum error

12. Painfully slow un-tar

13. how do I un-tar?