Max. length of Environment Variable Value Field

Max. length of Environment Variable Value Field

Post by Jame » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:17:37

Hi,
    I want to know if there are any limitations of different shells
regarding the maximum length of value fields of shell variables.

I think there will be some limitations, but not sure.

Regards,
Jame

1. c shell script; Howto use environement variables to build environment variables and take their value

In a script I wish to specify two environment variables like this;

setenv FOO bee
setenv ${FOO}_ROOT /home/bee

This is ok and will set "FOO=bee" and "bee_ROOT=/home/bee".

Now I wan't to build the "bee_ROOT" variable using "FOO" and use the
value in a expression, i.e. something like this;

source ${${FOO}_ROOT}/.cshrc

This will not execute. The error is "Variable syntax". It seems that
the shell cannot figure to evaluate the inner ecpression first and
then the outer. I have tried different combination of forcing
evaluation with '' and assigning to variable first etc, but with
little luck.

Any idea/explanation why this is not possible/what I can do instead?

Cheers,
Gert.

2. Backup tape drive question

3. How to get value of environment variable in variable name?

4. Motif 2.?- Media ?

5. Splitting a variable number of fixed length fields

6. Security scanning with tiger..

7. max length limit for variable assignments

8. What is LDAP's rpm name?

9. Max length of PATH variable in ksh !

10. the max length of env. variable

11. max length sh variable/command-line?

12. Length of contents of environment variable - Help

13. Maximum length of the environment variable's content