tcsh & Y2K Compliance

Post by Brian A. Scribe » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Ok,  condensed story is this:  I just moved to a new group
within my company, that new group raises their children on
Korn and doesn't want anything to do with any other shell.
I am a longtime tcsh user and asked for installation.  To
get them to provide this to me I must first jump through a
hundred hoops of fire.  Many of these have been accomplished,
however, I must somehow prove to them that tcsh is year 2000 compliant.
I have searched the FAQ, my O'Reilly book,
the web, and all the postings from this newsgroup I could
get my hands on.  Does anyone out there know if tcsh IS
compliant, and if so, is there anywhere/anyone who might be
able to verify this?

Thank you in advance for all effort and consideration,
Brian A. Scriber

Lockheed Martin Mission Systems
Global Positioning System Block II-R

[...]

Post by Peter Samuels » Sun, 14 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > Ok, condensed story is this: I just moved to a new group within my
> > company, that new group raises their children on Korn and doesn't
> > want anything to do with any other shell.

Quote:> They sound like a sorry-ass bunch of backward luddites; there are
> cool shells that are similar to Korn but with much better
> interactivity features, such as zsh or bash.

Maybe they figure Korn is a Supported Product[tm] and these others
aren't.

Quote:> > however, I must somehow prove to them that tcsh is year 2000
> > compliant.
> Why don't you ask them to first prove that the Korn shell is Y2K
> compliant?

This is probably a political thing.  The people Brian is dealing with
probably don't really understand what Y2K-compliance in a shell really
means and what it affects, and are paranoid.  Like I said, ksh probably
came with their OS, so they can sue Sun or AT&T or whomever if the Y2K
reassurances they have been given turn out not to be true.

Quote:> You might also argue that you are only using the tcsh for interactive
> use, and that you won't be writing any programs in it, other than
> perhaps simple scripts for personal use.

Yeah, requiring Y2K in a shell that will only be used interactively by
one person is IMHO pretty dumb -- what can break?  And if it does
break, you just chsh.  This is what makes me think Brian is dealing
with people who are paranoid and don't really understand the issues.

Quote:> Read the source, identify any modules that deal with date and time
> and analyze them for potential bugs, like the use of two digit
> years.

[...]

I suspect this would be wasted effort.  When many people want to know
if something is Y2K-compliant, what they really want is a place to
point a finger if something goes wrong -- not a technical analysis.  As
such, what Brian probably needs is to find a Y2K statement by the
vendor of tcsh ... except that it's free software and nobody warrants
it (which is also technically true of most commercial software, though
at least vendors "support" it), so maybe nothing would satisfy.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu ! psamuels>

1. Newbie question about Y2K compliance

Hi All,

        I've been tinkering with RedHat 5.0 and really liking it.  I haven't
been able to find any definitive info about how Linux in general and Red
Hat in particular fare with Year 2000 compliance.  Thanks in advance for
answering what is probably a very elementary matter.

-Jeff

2. (help) Konqueror: mailto-links, temporary files and write-permission

3. FreeBSD Y2K compliance on non-compliant hardware

4. Whats good about debian and slackware?

5. Y2K compliance

6. Filesystem that allows several files with the same filename?

7. Y2K Compliance

8. ADAPTEC SCSI KLONE KIT

9. Y2K compliance of mktime

10. tcp wrappers y2k compliance.

11. Linux (Red Hat 5.1 and 5.2) Y2K compliance

12. Y2K Compliance's

13. Y2K Compliance of Digital Unix 4.0.b