how do I restrict user's FTP access to certain directory only

how do I restrict user's FTP access to certain directory only

Post by sara » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi all

How can I restrict one user's FTP access to certain directory only?
I am using solaris 2.6.

now when I create the user's account, I could be able to access other
directory with that account using cd command.

Help pls

Sara

how do I restrict user's FTP access to certain directory only

Post by gl.. » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all

>How can I restrict one user's FTP access to certain directory only?
>I am using solaris 2.6.

>now when I create the user's account, I could be able to access other
>directory with that account using cd command.

>Help pls

>Sara

There are several ways to accomplish what you are trying to do.  The
simplest is to create a generalized group that other users will be
assigned to when they log in and a special group for the user who's
actions you wish to restrict.  The assign "x" or "cross" permission to
just that one directory and a path to it.

You can also get creative with the chroot command.  This command sets
the relative path from / to whatever you assign / to.  This is
typically used in ftp anyway to restrict system navigation to
anonymous ftp users.

finally you can setup that ftp user's .cshrc/.profile with an alias to
cd that logs them out.  Make that alias the last thing that you set in
the rc file and just before you set it "cd" them to the directory
where you want them to be.

I don't really understand your second requirement.  Are you saying
that when YOU login as that account you want to access other
directories?  If so, then you are in for some work.  You would have to
base your permissions on WHERE the login was coming from based on an
IP.  Also in the second part of your question, are you talking about
accessing the account via ftp, or logging in?