Kill using PID

Post by John F » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

I have the PID stored in a file, namely test.pid.

How can I kill the background process with that PID file?

I have tried to use:  kill 'cat test.pid'  and kill {cat test.pid}.  But it
wouldn't work.  I am using bourne shell at the moment...

Can somebody help please.

Kill using PID

Post by Geoff Wi » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

:I have the PID stored in a file, namely test.pid.
:How can I kill the background process with that PID file?
:I have tried to use:
:kill 'cat test.pid'

% kill `cat test.pid`

Note that they're backticks not normal apostrophes.

:and kill {cat test.pid}.  But it
:wouldn't work.  I am using bourne shell at the moment...

Regards,
--

Kill using PID

Post by Wenzhi Lian » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

> I have the PID stored in a file, namely test.pid.

> How can I kill the background process with that PID file?

> I have tried to use:  kill 'cat test.pid'  and kill {cat test.pid}.  But it
> wouldn't work.  I am using bourne shell at the moment...

> Can somebody help please.

wrong direction. ` not '

1. Kill using PID

I have the PID stored in a file, namely test.pid.

How can I kill the background process with that PID file?

I have tried to use:  kill 'cat test.pid'  and kill {cat test.pid}.  But it
wouldn't work.  I am using bourne shell at the moment...

Can somebody help please.

2. tcsh "bug" in completion? or I am doing it wrong -SOLVED

3. Killing my daemon using stored pid

4. Dell Latitude CP and Redhat 6.x

5. Killing daemons using a pid data file

6. SCO OpenServer Link Problem.

7. Can't Kill Zombie processes, even with kill -9 (pid)

8. Autologin using telnet

9. Cant kill using kill -9

10. why can't I kill a process using kill -9 xxxx

11. 'kill -HUP pid' doesn't work for restart!

12. Why doesn't kill -HUP [pid] work on crontab?

13. rsh to kill a pid