Hard drive crash!

Post by Joseph Flemi » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

        Hello,
I just recently inherited a new Solaris Sparc-20 machine
and the hard drive already has a failure.

Using the analyze/read option of the format command,
half the blocks on the disk come back with a
'Medium error during read: block xxxxx'.

Some are repaired but most are not.  Is there anything
else I can do to fix this, or is the drive toast?

Many thanks

Joe

Hard drive crash!

Post by Brian S Hil » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

:         Hello,
: I just recently inherited a new Solaris Sparc-20 machine
: and the hard drive already has a failure.
: Using the analyze/read option of the format command,
: half the blocks on the disk come back with a
: 'Medium error during read: block xxxxx'.
: Some are repaired but most are not.  Is there anything
: else I can do to fix this, or is the drive toast?

This is not the definitive answer, but it reminds me of the diagnostics
of another "inherited" Sun product in our lab. Out of five identical
machines, only one had no root password on it, and it was of course
this one that crashed first, before I could mount it successively as a
second disk on the other machines and erase each root password. Turned
out that the voice coil got misaligned and the drive was indeed
toasted.

It has taken me up to eleven fsck's to "duct tape" a munched HD back
together again, but this sounds like a low-level problem. However,
perseverance!

Good luck!

-Brian
--
   ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.     ,---.
  /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \   /  _  \

__,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.___,'   `.__

1. hard drive crash recovery help

Talk about destruction!  Within a week, two 486s running Linux were
affected by a power surge problem (like someone accidentally shutting
a machine off, for example!) with files still opened.  When coming back
up, fsck failed to do anything with the hard drives -- complaining
about the superblock (bad magic number, cylinder boundaries mixed
up, etc.).  Yes when we boot from the DOS partition on either machine, it
looks fine and fdisk shows no obvious problems with the partition.

Any clues as to how to salvage our hard disks?  fsck won't run on them
(complaining about bad superblocks) and although we have backups, we've
lost a bit of data.  The only solution can't be to reformat the entire
hard drive, can it?

One was IDE and the other was SCSI, btw.

Any hints, clues, or anyone else with other such problems with Linux?
Please post or e-mail.

Thanks! --
greg sherwin

--

2. Apache - logging on a server I don't own

3. Hard drive crashed; trying to recover

4. Solaris x86 FAQ

5. hard drive crash or some other problem...?

6. No sound in GNOME until mixer is started

7. Linux Problem - Hard Drive Crash?

8. 82523952 Visio for Linux

9. hard drive crash

10. Hard Drive Crashed

11. Hard drive crash, bad magic number in superblock

12. Hard drive Crash!

13. hard drive crash