start a new xterm and another program at the same time

start a new xterm and another program at the same time

Post by ngoc » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 02:13:26



Hi
I want to start a new xterm and ls program at the same time.
%xterm -e ls
But the xterm window does not remain. How can I make it remain on the
screen?
Thanks
ngoc
 
 
 

start a new xterm and another program at the same time

Post by Stephane CHAZELA » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 02:36:15


2004-12-01, 18:13(+01), ngoc:
Quote:> I want to start a new xterm and ls program at the same time.
> %xterm -e ls
> But the xterm window does not remain. How can I make it remain on the
> screen?

[...]

XFree86 xterm has a -hold option for that.

Otherwise, you can do:

xterm -e sh -c 'ls; echo "hit return to close"; read'

or, if you don't want any keyboard interaction to close the
xterm:

xterm -e sh -c 'stty -echo -icrnl inlcr -isig; ls; read'

--
Stephane

 
 
 

start a new xterm and another program at the same time

Post by ngoc » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:41:43



> 2004-12-01, 18:13(+01), ngoc:

>>I want to start a new xterm and ls program at the same time.
>>%xterm -e ls
>>But the xterm window does not remain. How can I make it remain on the
>>screen?

> [...]

> XFree86 xterm has a -hold option for that.

> Otherwise, you can do:

> xterm -e sh -c 'ls; echo "hit return to close"; read'

> or, if you don't want any keyboard interaction to close the
> xterm:

> xterm -e sh -c 'stty -echo -icrnl inlcr -isig; ls; read'

I want also to run program from new window. For example after ls, in the
new window I can type ls -la. In your solution, I can not have
interaction to new window.

The reason I need this function is. I write many perl programs, some are
command line, some are graphical. For command line one, when I click on
program name, it will start a xterm and run it. From the new xterm, I
can run it again, if it needs input.
Thanks
ngoc

 
 
 

start a new xterm and another program at the same time

Post by ngoc » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:37:37


Thank you very much. It works.
Ngoc

> 2004-12-02, 12:41(+01), ngoc:
> [...]

>>>xterm -e sh -c 'ls; echo "hit return to close"; read'

>>>or, if you don't want any keyboard interaction to close the
>>>xterm:

>>>xterm -e sh -c 'stty -echo -icrnl inlcr -isig; ls; read'

>>I want also to run program from new window. For example after ls, in the
>>new window I can type ls -la. In your solution, I can not have
>>interaction to new window.

> [...]

> Then, start your shell of choice after ls:

> xterm -e sh -c 'ls; exec "${SHELL:-/bin/sh}"'

 
 
 

start a new xterm and another program at the same time

Post by Stephane CHAZELA » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:58:18


2004-12-02, 12:41(+01), ngoc:
[...]
Quote:>> xterm -e sh -c 'ls; echo "hit return to close"; read'

>> or, if you don't want any keyboard interaction to close the
>> xterm:

>> xterm -e sh -c 'stty -echo -icrnl inlcr -isig; ls; read'

> I want also to run program from new window. For example after ls, in the
> new window I can type ls -la. In your solution, I can not have
> interaction to new window.

[...]

Then, start your shell of choice after ls:

xterm -e sh -c 'ls; exec "${SHELL:-/bin/sh}"'

--
Stephane

 
 
 

1. how to make a program start each time xdm starts?

I use debian 2.0r2, and windowmaker.

I would like netscape to start each time I boot the system and xdm
starts.

Is there Netscape Conference for Linux? In my netscape it is dimmed.

--
www.miernik.nask.com/miernik/        _/                             _/

                         _/ _/  _/ _/     _/_/  _/ _/ _/ _/_/     _/  _/
GSM: (+48) 603 201 700  _/  _/_/  _/_/  _/  _/ _/_/  _/_/  _/ _/ _/ _/
tel.:(+48 22) 7744 700 _/   _/   _/_/  _/_/_/ _/    _/    _/ _/ _/_/
page:(+48) 64 2222 864_/        _/_/  _/     _/    _/    _/ _/ _/  _/
ICQ UIN: 4004001     _/        _/ _/_/ _/_/ _/    _/    _/  _/_/    _/

2. This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND idiot-friendly?

3. Starting pine in a new xterm

4. How do I combine these two Makefile entries into one?

5. auto start programs, release xterm.

6. Q:Printer w PRiMAX line extender, // port set to SPP...?

7. FVWM having problems starting up new Xterms

8. Apache configuration data structures

9. How start a program at specific time and view resources use

10. xterm: how to open a new xterm and run telnet

11. How start a program at specific time and view resources use ?

12. starting a program at boot-time, suse 6.1

13. starting programs simultaneously and timing them