Help - using mailx to send to Bcc: field?

Help - using mailx to send to Bcc: field?

Post by Paul L. Mos » Fri, 06 Jan 1995 01:18:19

 Hi,

 I've got a quick question about how to alter a shell script so that
 mail is sent to a list of people using the Bcc field rather than the
 To: field.

 Right now the command reads:

       (mailx -s "$digest_name, #$volnum" $to < $digest

 where to is assigned the value of the mailing list alias.  (Ie, subscribers)

 Could I change the script in the following way and have it work?

       bcc= mailing_list_subs
       (mailx -s "$digest_name, #$volnum" $bcc < $digest

 or do I need to do it some other way?

Thanks,

Paul

Help - using mailx to send to Bcc: field?

Post by Z-Co » Tue, 10 Jan 1995 15:51:07

Quote:

> Could I change the script in the following way and have it work?

>       bcc= mailing_list_subs
>       (mailx -s "$digest_name, #$volnum" $bcc < $digest

Um, no, the name of the variable isn't going to make any difference
to how mailx interprets the command line arguments it receives.

Quote:> or do I need to do it some other way?

This might work -- it does for Mail on BSD systems.  Note the embedded
newline in the double-quoted string:

mailx -s "$digest_name, #$volnum
Bcc: $bcc" < $digest

1. Help - sending with mailx to bcc field instead of to: field

 To: field.

 Right now the command reads:

       (mailx -s "$digest_name, #$volnum" $to < $digest

 where to is assigned the value of the mailing list alias.  (Ie, subscribers)

 Could I change the script in the following way and have it work?

       bcc= mailing_list_subs
       (mailx -s "$digest_name, #$volnum" $bcc < $digest

 or do I need to do it some other way?

Thanks,

Paul

2. Remote printing. IP for a printer?

3. Help - sending list through mailx to bcc: field

4. Solaris HA

5. Sending mass email using mailx

6. NetWare client for AIX 4.1.5

7. Sending mail with attachment using mailx command

8. Matrox Millenium G200 ???

9. how to using mailx or mpack sent html mail

10. send mail (or email ) using mailx

11. how send an attached file using mailx ?

12. Sending a message with MIME header using mailx

13. Kmail filter against BCC field? and other...