fsck fsck say I

Post by Pat LaVar » Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:17:27

I remember I first learned of `fsck -f -y /` after `umount /` in the
thread:

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: fsck fsck say I
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=2695edf1.0312021221.72f242a3%...

Speaking again now of fsck'ing on demand, eventually I also noticed,

My `man -k fsck` does not yet, but could/ should, point to:

--- http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+man+shutdown
--- http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/shutdown.8.html
-f
Skip fsck on reboot.
-F
Force fsck on reboot.
---

Pat LaVarre

fsck fsck say I

Post by Birger Blix » Sat, 01 May 2004 23:30:05

Quote:> I remember I first learned of `fsck -f -y /` after `umount /` in the
> thread:

> Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
> Subject: fsck fsck say I
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=2695edf1.0312021221.72f242a3%...

> Speaking again now of fsck'ing on demand, eventually I also noticed,

> My `man -k fsck` does not yet, but could/ should, point to:

> --- http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+man+shutdown
> --- http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/shutdown.8.html
> -f
> Skip fsck on reboot.
> -F
> Force fsck on reboot.
> ---

> Pat LaVarre

Reading this remind me of the 15 year old program jive
that can filter text, for example a manpage into this:

WARNINGS
      De opuh'tin' system  buffers stash  system  data. Runnin' fsck
      on some mounted   stash  system  kin  cause da damn opuh'tin'
      system's buffers t'become out uh date wid respect t'de disk.
      Fo'  dis reason, de  stash system should be unmounted when fsck
      be used. If dis be not possible, care should  be snatchn dat de
      system be quiescent and dat it be rebooted immediately afta'
      fsck be run. Quite often, however, dis gots'ta not be sufficient.
      'S coo', bro. A panic gots'ta probably occur if runnin' fsck on
      some  stash system modifies de  stash system.  Sheeeiit.

/bb

1. fsck fsck fsck say I

[[[Ouch.  Sorry.  Ouch.  The first edition of this text lost the first
word of its Subject.  Fixed now]]]

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: fsck fsck fsck say I
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=2695edf1.0312021221.72f242a3%...

Speaking again now of fsck'ing on demand, eventually I also noticed,

My `man -k fsck` does not yet, but could/ should, point to:

--- http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+man+shutdown
--- http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/shutdown.8.html
-f
Skip fsck on reboot.
-F
Force fsck on reboot.
---

Pat LaVarre

2. will migratepv help defragmentation?

3. giflib23 error when installing some KDE apps

4. help pls - fsck fail on boot; fixed, fsck still fails on boot

5. Changing limit of open files

6. Problem: On bootup always says to run fsck

7. YP-client and SuSE6.0 Problem

8. Disk clean on bootup, fsck says it's not clean

9. fsck exit with signal 11. 60 GB maxtor disk. fsck hangs

10. Help, FSCK: Redhat 5.0: FSCK runs on first bootup EACH DAY? Can't find the configuration file

11. Have to run fsck on /home every reboot

12. Elite 9 v fsck