quick history find in bash

Post by Andrey Koubyche » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 18:47:59

Hi everyone :)

I think you all know the feature when you time few first letters of filename
and TAB make a guess and adds the rest of it. But I think the similar
possible with history , I type beginning of the command and then press ....
What should I press in bash ?
--
Best regards,
Andrey Koubychev

quick history find in bash

Post by Juergen Sal » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 20:02:51

> I think you all know the feature when you time few first letters of filename
> and TAB make a guess and adds the rest of it. But I think the similar
> possible with history , I type beginning of the command and then press ....
> What should I press in bash ?

Try <Ctrl>-r. This will start a reverse incremental search through
the history.

Best regards - Juergen

quick history find in bash

Post by Stepan Kas » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 20:03:05

> Hi everyone :)

> I think you all know the feature when you time few first letters of filename
> and TAB make a guess and adds the rest of it. But I think the similar
> possible with history , I type beginning of the command and then press ....
> What should I press in bash ?

M-TAB, ie Esc, then Tab or Alt Tab

Or you can use Ctrl-R to reverse search the history.
Or (supposing you are somewhere deep in history, you can search back
(ie. forward) by M-- C-R, ie. Esc, -, Ctrl-R or Alt--, Ctrl-R

HTH,
        Stepan

Is there a proper fixed bash on any of the FTP sites out there?

I know there bash is on the usual sites but I don't know if they are
bugged or not :(

Regards,

Neil.

--

------------------------------------| Edinburgh, EH14 2DE, United Kingdom
**Domino: There`s nothing you can do when you`re the next in line: Domino**

2. Getting Help for KDE-programming

3. bash history -s appends to the previous history

4. how to trap who "finger" you.

5. Quick Question: on UNIX History

6. XTerm function keys

7. bash error - "bash: setenv: command not found"

8. [eide.txt--for those with big Enhanced Hard drive

9. What is the bash syntax for [[ ]] - and how to find in "man bash" ?

10. Where I can find macromedia flash plug-ins for Konqueror?

11. searching over the bash history

12. bash history substitution

13. partial history completion in bash