i can't unmount a file system, help

Post by brian fost » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

i'm trying to umount /opt and tried everything i can think of.

        umount /opt

        umount /dev/vg00/lvol6

        umount -F vxfs /dev/vg00/lvol6

        I keep getting device is busy, I'm the only
        person on the machine and fuser /opt
        shows no pid's in /opt. can anyone help?

                        thx

                        -brian

Post by Volker Borche » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00

|>   I keep getting device is busy, I'm the only
|>   person on the machine and fuser /opt
|>   shows no pid's in /opt. can anyone help?

Sounds like vold has grabbed it.

        vb

--

i can't unmount a file system, help

Post by brian fost » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

can you give me some direction on what vold
is? and how to release it?

                        -thx

Post by Andrea Bea » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: Hi all,

: i'm trying to umount /opt and tried everything i can think of.

:       umount /opt

:       umount /dev/vg00/lvol6

:       umount -F vxfs /dev/vg00/lvol6

:       I keep getting device is busy, I'm the only
:       person on the machine and fuser /opt
:       shows no pid's in /opt. can anyone help?

:                       thx

:                       -brian

Try
        fuser -c /opt

Post by Volker Borche » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

|> can you give me some direction on what vold
|> is? and how to release it?

It's a deamon that watches removable disk drives and automatically
mounts them when media are inserted. On my Solaris machines, I have
simply disabled vold, since I only have floppy drives on them, and
use mtools for those. Simply remove /etc/rc2.d/S92volmgt, or (this
is how I do it) create a directory /etc/rc2.d/DISABLED and move it
there. To stop vold right now, do ``/etc/init.d/volmgt stop''.

The man pages are (on Solaris 2.6) vold(1M) and vold.conf(4).

        vb

--

i can't unmount a file system, help

Post by brian fost » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

thanks, i'll give it a shot, i'm on hp/ux and i believe
lvmkd might be the culprit.

                -brian

Post by Menno Lagem » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>|> can you give me some direction on what vold
>|> is? and how to release it?

>It's a deamon that watches removable disk drives and automatically
>mounts them when media are inserted. On my Solaris machines, I have
>simply disabled vold, since I only have floppy drives on them, and
>use mtools for those. Simply remove /etc/rc2.d/S92volmgt, or (this
>is how I do it) create a directory /etc/rc2.d/DISABLED and move it
>there. To stop vold right now, do ``/etc/init.d/volmgt stop''.

Why not just do: mv S92volmgt s92volmgt ? This has the advantage that
you keep the file in the same directory, so you can easily see what
has been disabled. If you want to enable again at some later date,
just do the mv the other way. Ditto for the K* scripts.

Just my $0.02

Menno
 "American beer is like making love in a boat:
   *ing close to water"

--

Brian;

Since I also work on HP system I can assure you that what these guys have been

saying about vold is not vaild on HP.  vold does not exist.

When I need to umount /opt all I do is stop all process that are running from the /opt

filesystem.  You can find this out by using the fuser command.  I running this

command as "fuser -cu /opt"  This will return the PID it look like 354mo.  You then

run ps -ef|grep 354

I use the "/sbin/init.d/filename stop"

If you are running shareprinter you will need to stop these by editing the

/etc/inittab and change respawn to off then killing the PID.  Other wise then

ever you kill it it will start up a new process.

On other thing make sure you are not currently in the directory /opt when

you try to umount it.  That will give the device busy error as well.

I hope this helps
Cynthia R. Roe

1. unmounting 'busy' Netware file system

Does anyone know how to unmount a Netware file system that is always being
reported as busy?

I tried using  fuser -km /mount-name, and the using the umount and ncpumount
commands but I still keep getting the same errors.

The  fuser command does not show and processes using the file system I want
to unmount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dale

2. Booting Windows on a second hard drive with lilo

3. Can't unmount file system (nfs)

4. How to run shell script without login shell?

5. Can't unmount userfs filing systems

6. What's the best replacement for Outlook?

7. Can't unmount file system (nfs)

8. Newbie: Running program

9. Changing permissions on file underlying the mount point without unmounting file system

10. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

11. Help unmounting a 'busy' cd-rom - How?

12. unmounting file system

13. Problem unmounting file systems (SIMPLE)