WANTED: Menu program to run scripts

Post by Brian Deterli » Mon, 07 Nov 1994 16:08:56

I am looking for a menu driver to run unix commands.  I am trying to make
life easier for some of my novice users and computer operators.

I am looking for the following functionality:

  1.  Ability to run scripts or programs.  (Complex shell commands a bonus)

  2.  Interoperability.  Need to run on HP, DG, Sequent, and SCO.

  3.  Easy definition files.

If anyone knows where such a program/script can be obtained, please let

Thanks.

Post by Phil Cra » Fri, 25 Nov 1994 03:03:10

> I am looking for a menu driver to run unix commands.  I am trying to make
> life easier for some of my novice users and computer operators.

> I am looking for the following functionality:

>   1.  Ability to run scripts or programs.  (Complex shell commands a bonus)

>   2.  Interoperability.  Need to run on HP, DG, Sequent, and SCO.

>   3.  Easy definition files.

> If anyone knows where such a program/script can be obtained, please let

> Thanks.

Check the O'Reilly book on sed & awk (Dale Dougherty, ISBM 0-937175-59-5),
this describes a menu processor which is run from parameter files &
controlled by an awk program. It uses the system() and getline
calls to achieve this. We use it here for our operations people -
running backups, starting and stopping background jobs &c &c.
Works good, too. (Don't worry about getting to grips with awk either,
I was doing in 3 weeks what I had spent 3 years trying to fathom out!).

The introduction says the programs are available by ftp from
ftp.uu.net - file /published/oreilly/nutshell/sedawk/progs.tar.Z,
I guess the URL is
ftp://ftp.uu.net/published/oreilly/nutshell/sedawk/progs.tar.Z

I think I retrieved the file and untarred it, but have done nothing with
it since!
--

AT&T Istel Ltd., Redditch, UK
#include <std/disclaimer>

1. WANTED: Program to run script when phone rings

SYNAPSIS:

I'm looking for a program that will run a shell script whenever
the phone line connected to my modem rings exactly once.

DETAILS:

I have a dial-up internet connection.  Sometimes when I am out of
town, or just away from the office, I want to be able to access my
server remotely using telnet or SSH.  But because I don't have
a dedicated connection, my server is probably not on the internet
and I can't access it.  I'm looking for a way around this problem.

The other day I had the idea of configuring my server to listen
for ringing on its modem line.  (This line doubles as the fax line
for the office.)  If it sees a single ring, then the server will
wait 20 seconds then start up an internet connection.  So if I'm
away for the office and want to log in over the internet, I can just
call the modem, let it ring once, hang up, and a minute or so later
I should be able to run SSH.  If the server doesn't get an incoming
SSH within 5 minutes, it drops the line.  ("diald" will take care
of that part for me...)

QUESTION:

Is there software available to do this kind of thing -- to invoke some
kind of script if the phone line rings exactly once?

I know that some of the fax server software does this (mgetty+sendfax?),
but I don't want a complete fax package.  (I already have a dedicated
fax machine for that!)  I just want to run a script when the phone
rings.

So is there something I can download, or am I going to have to grow

Peace.
--

2. RH 7.1 or older?

3. Wanted: startup-script with menu on login HOW???

4. about Linux clustering

5. WANTED: Menu program

6. Switching over

7. User menu programs? Info wanted

8. Need proxy that can block all but certain sites

9. running a program from within a script then returning to the script

10. Shell script to run script to record output from a program

11. WANTED: A public-domain 'script' program.

12. WANTED: Allowing two users to run one program together.

13. Wanted: Mail decoding/printing program or script