Incoming Email filtering question

Post by Jason D. Kelleh » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all.....

>I am trying to setup incoming email filtering on my ISP account and am
>getting a little stuck. I think the problem lies with the 'filter'
>command. Here's the setup......

>In my root dir (/home/clients/jallen) I have a file of '.forward'  (This
>is currently named '.f' because all my mail is getting chewed/lost due
>to this problem). The contents of '.forward' is '|filter' which will, in
>theory, forward all my incoming email to the 'filter' command. In my
>'.elm' directory I have a file 'filter-rules' which the filter command
>utilises as rules for filtering. Even with no rules defined my email
>still gets lost :-/  Is there some "feature" to forward causing the
>trouble?

    Ok, first fully path the filter command, i.e.  /usr/local/bin/filter
(or wherever it lives).  You aslo might want to setup you 'filter-rules' file
to allow everything (just so you know it's working).

    If that doesn't work, your ISP might not allow forwarding to pipes
(easy to turn off w/ sendmail) ask them.

    Hope this helps.

--
Jason D. Kelleher              Systems Administrator

Post by Jason Alle » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi all.....

I am trying to setup incoming email filtering on my ISP account and am
getting a little stuck. I think the problem lies with the 'filter'
command. Here's the setup......

In my root dir (/home/clients/jallen) I have a file of '.forward'  (This
is currently named '.f' because all my mail is getting chewed/lost due
to this problem). The contents of '.forward' is '|filter' which will, in
theory, forward all my incoming email to the 'filter' command. In my
'.elm' directory I have a file 'filter-rules' which the filter command
utilises as rules for filtering. Even with no rules defined my email
still gets lost :-/  Is there some "feature" to forward causing the
trouble?

Would appreciate CC of any replies to email

Regards,

--
Jason Allen

Phone: 0419 34 35 88   (Intl: +61 419 343588)

"You give little when you give of your possessions.
 It is when you give of yourself that you truly give"
             - Kahlil Gibran

Incoming Email filtering question

Post by Tim Rigd » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to setup incoming email filtering on my ISP account and am
> getting a little stuck. I think the problem lies with the 'filter'
> command. Here's the setup......

> In my root dir (/home/clients/jallen) I have a file of '.forward'  (This
> is currently named '.f' because all my mail is getting chewed/lost due
> to this problem). The contents of '.forward' is '|filter' which will, in
> theory, forward all my incoming email to the 'filter' command. In my
> '.elm' directory I have a file 'filter-rules' which the filter command
> utilises as rules for filtering. Even with no rules defined my email
> still gets lost :-/  Is there some "feature" to forward causing the
> trouble?

Look in your home directory for a file called EMERGENCY_MBOX which may
have your mail.

Also, add your username to your .forward file, so that each email is both
filtered and copied to your usual mail folder.  Alternatively, specify a
(full) file path, so that you have a backup of all your mail.

When you've got your filter working, change it all back to just the
filter.

For more information about .forward files, look at the man page for sendmail.

Hope it helps,

Tim.

--
Tim Rigden                                      http://www.york.ac.uk/~tcr100/
University of York                     Computer Systems & Software Engineering

1. Kmail will not filter my incoming e-mails

Hi!

 I use kmail and korganizer as klients to Exchange 2000 servers, via imap
and webdav protocols.

I have configured a kmail filter to pipe all mails through the
/usr/bin/korganizerIn script: When i get e-mails with invitations for
meetings, the script pass the meeting.ics attachment to korganizer, and the
scheduling is handled well by korganizer: I can accept or decline the
invitation, and my calender is automatic updated.

The problem:

Kmail does not filter incoming e-mails on the "imap" server. If i mark some
e-mails, and choose to filter the mails, the filter work well.

 How can i set up Kmail to filter the incoming e-mails automaticly?

In Mozilla 1.3, i can't find any filter action to pipe mail through a
script. Is that possible?

In Evolution automatic filter of incoming imap mails work, and i guess the
functions to send e-mails to shell commands work.
May be the workaround is to use Evolution, or is there any other options?

2. samba/slackware win95 to linux login probs

3. Mail for MY e-mail is acting strange today (no incoming e-mail)

4. workman runs but no sound - any ideas ?? THANKS !

5. How to filter incoming mail???

6. Windows Refund Day II is Thursday 23 January 2003

7. How could/should one filter out specific incoming mails??

8. testing exit status

9. How to filter the incoming mail ?

10. incoming mail filtering

11. Provider is filtering all incoming ICMP traffic

12. KMail Filtering of incoming mail

13. sendmail filtering incoming mail