How do I prevent tcsh from displaying /etc/motd?

How do I prevent tcsh from displaying /etc/motd?

Post by Ilya Beloozer » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hello

How do I prevent tcsh shell from displaying /etc/motd (message of the day)
every time I log on?

Thank you for your time. Please email your suggestions.

Ilya Beloozerov

WWW home page:  http://www.cs.runet.edu/~ibelooze

Post by Christos Zoul » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Hello

>How do I prevent tcsh shell from displaying /etc/motd (message of the day)
>every time I log on?

>Thank you for your time. Please email your suggestions.

It is not the shell that is displaying the message of the day.
unless someone added it in /etc/csh.{login,cshrc} or in ~/.{login,cshrc}...

christos

How do I prevent tcsh from displaying /etc/motd?

Post by Phil Edwar » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

[cc'd to poster]

+ How do I prevent tcsh shell from displaying /etc/motd (message of the day)
+ every time I log on?

Well, you can create a file called .hushlogin in your home directory
(the contents don't matter), and the presence of that file will
prevent the display of the MOTD.

But be aware that the MOTD is the only reliable way (besides mass
email) for your system supervisors to effectively communicate
announcements and other news.  Blocking that out may result in your
missing some important information!

+ Thank you for your time. Please email your suggestions.

Hey, if you ask the question publicly, be prepared to go back and
read the public answer...  :-)

Luck++;
Phil

--
#include<std/disclaimer.h>               The gods do not protect fools. Fools

How do I prevent tcsh from displaying /etc/motd?

Post by Jan Just [JJ] Keijs » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello

>How do I prevent tcsh shell from displaying /etc/motd (message of the day)
>every time I log on?

If you're the sysop, check /etc/profile or /etc/login. (I think the (t)csh
uses /etc/login) Otherwise, talk to your sysop. If there's a line
  /etc/motd
in either /etc/profile or in /etc/login you cannot not display the motd...

Jan Just (JJ) Keijser
Unix System Manager

- Jan Just (JJ) Keijser               My views are my own... -

Post by Soren Dayt » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> >Hello

> >How do I prevent tcsh shell from displaying /etc/motd (message of the day)
> >every time I log on?

> If you're the sysop, check /etc/profile or /etc/login. (I think the (t)csh
> uses /etc/login) Otherwise, talk to your sysop. If there's a line
>   /etc/motd
> in either /etc/profile or in /etc/login you cannot not display the motd...

        I fear that it is a little more system dependent than that.  Rather
alot more actually.  And regardless, on many machines, there is nothing
akin to cat /etc/motd in /etc/whatever...

Soren

Post by Stephen Bake » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>> >Hello

>> >How do I prevent tcsh shell from displaying /etc/motd (message of the day)
>> >every time I log on?

>> If you're the sysop, check /etc/profile or /etc/login. (I think the (t)csh
>> uses /etc/login) Otherwise, talk to your sysop. If there's a line
>>   /etc/motd
>> in either /etc/profile or in /etc/login you cannot not display the motd...

>    I fear that it is a little more system dependent than that.  Rather
>alot more actually.  And regardless, on many machines, there is nothing
>akin to cat /etc/motd in /etc/whatever...

Some systems, Solaris specificly, allow each user to suppress the display
of motd, checking of quotas, etc.  This done by creating a file named
hushlogin in the user's home directory.  Use it at your own risk!

----------
Stephen Baker
Technology Applications, Inc.
http://www.techapp.com/~sbb/

How do I prevent tcsh from displaying /etc/motd?

Post by Bojan Zdrn » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: >Hello
: >
: >How do I prevent tcsh shell from displaying /etc/motd (message of the day)
: >every time I log on?
: >
: >Thank you for your time. Please email your suggestions.

Create a file called ".hushlogin" in your $HOME directory. That will prevent
displaying of /etc/motd, but I suggest you to do a difference check in your
.login because sometimes there are important information about your system
in /etc/motd (your SA's edit that file).

Regards, Bojan

--

WHERE DREAMS COME TRUE | URL:
AND MUSIC NEVER STOPS  | http://fly.cc.fer.hr/~ld/

Post by David Ka » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

  >>> If you're the sysop, check /etc/profile or /etc/login. (I think the (t)csh
  >>> uses /etc/login) Otherwise, talk to your sysop. If there's a line
  >>> /etc/motd
  >>> in either /etc/profile or in /etc/login you cannot not display the motd...
  >>
  >> I fear that it is a little more system dependent than that.  Rather
  >> alot more actually.  And regardless, on many machines, there is nothing
  >> akin to cat /etc/motd in /etc/whatever...

  Stephen> Some systems, Solaris specificly, allow each user to suppress the display
  Stephen> of motd, checking of quotas, etc.  This done by creating a file named
  Stephen> hushlogin in the user's home directory.  Use it at your own risk!

The only small problem with this is that /etc/profile and /etc/.login
in Solaris 2.3 (at our patch level) checks the current directory for
".hughlogin", not $HOME/.hushlogin, as is documented.  Most of the
time, you won't notice the difference, unless you use processes that
attempt to "relogin" you for various purposes.  In that case, you
might not be in your homr directory when /etc/{profile,.login} is
executed, so it won't "hush" the login.

1. Prevent motd when doing su

Hi all,

First time on this newsgroup with a simple question.

Several of the batch scripts I run from root do a 'su'
(especially backup scripts) however when doing
a su everytime the motd appears in the logfile.
How can I prevent display of the motd when doing a su ?

With kind regards,

Laurens

2. ROOKIE needs help!!!!!!!!!

3. Displaying /etc/motd file

4. How can I join news group?

5. /etc/motd displays twice on login

6. only one user gets sound

7. don't display the content of /etc/motd

8. COPS 1.04 Result Problem...

9. /etc/issue & /etc/motd

10. Changing /etc/motd and /etc/issue

11. Problems with files '/etc/motd' and '/etc/issue'

12. /etc/issue & /etc/motd