stty: : No such device or address

Post by James Rajasing » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I get the above error in VI when I try to substitute lines
with the output of a UNIX command. e.g !!ls in command mode.

Any idea as to what could be wrong?

stty -a
speed 9600 baud;
rows = 44; columns = 109; ypixels = 670; xpixels = 991;
eucw 1:0:0:0, scrw 1:0:0:0
intr = ^c; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^?;
eof = ^d; eol = ^m; eol2 = <undef>; swtch = <undef>;
start = ^q; stop = ^s; susp = ^z; dsusp = ^y;
rprnt = ^r; flush = ^o; werase = ^w; lnext = ^v;
parenb -parodd cs7 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -crtscts
-crtsxoff -parext
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel
isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
-tostop echoctl -echoprt e*-defecho -flusho -pendin iexten
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel

uname -a
SunOS MachineName 5.5.1 Generic_103640-17 sun4m sparc
SUNW,SPARCstation-10

I use ksh, xterm and TERM is set to xterm.

TIA,
James

stty: : No such device or address

Post by Ken Pizzi » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:45:18 -0400,

>I get the above error in VI when I try to substitute lines
>with the output of a UNIX command. e.g !!ls in command mode.

>Any idea as to what could be wrong?

A guess: the .rc file for your shell (e.g., .cshrc, .bashrc)
contains a stty command.  When vi runs a filter in a subshell,
it does not have stdin attached to a tty device, and so stty
gives the error message in the Subject: line of this thread.

The first thing to do is question whether the stty command
in the dot-rc file belongs there, or is better placed in
the login file (.login, .profile, etc.).  If you decide that
it really does belong in the rc file, then either protect
the stty call with a test that stdin is a tty:
   test -t 0 && stty cs8
or do the stty unconditionally, but with its stderr redirected:
   stty cs8 2>/dev/null

                --Ken Pizzini

P.S.:

Quote:>Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

Please don't post MIME or HTML to newsgroups unless you have a very
good reason.

stty: : No such device or address

Post by James Rajasing » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply Ken.
In my .profile I had set
    stty erase "^H"
Changing the line to
    test -t 0 && stty erase "^H"
did the trick.
Thanks, James

> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:45:18 -0400,

> >I get the above error in VI when I try to substitute lines
> >with the output of a UNIX command. e.g !!ls in command mode.

> >Any idea as to what could be wrong?

> A guess: the .rc file for your shell (e.g., .cshrc, .bashrc)
> contains a stty command.  When vi runs a filter in a subshell,
> it does not have stdin attached to a tty device, and so stty
> gives the error message in the Subject: line of this thread.

> The first thing to do is question whether the stty command
> in the dot-rc file belongs there, or is better placed in
> the login file (.login, .profile, etc.).  If you decide that
> it really does belong in the rc file, then either protect
> the stty call with a test that stdin is a tty:
>    test -t 0 && stty cs8
> or do the stty unconditionally, but with its stderr redirected:
>    stty cs8 2>/dev/null

>                 --Ken Pizzini

> P.S.:

> Please don't post MIME or HTML to newsgroups unless you have a very
> good reason.

stty: : No such device or address

Post by James Rajasing » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

.profile is being executed because I have set ENV to ~/.profile

> Thanks for the reply Ken.
> In my .profile I had set
>     stty erase "^H"
> Changing the line to
>     test -t 0 && stty erase "^H"
> did the trick.
> Thanks, James

> > On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:45:18 -0400,

> > >I get the above error in VI when I try to substitute lines
> > >with the output of a UNIX command. e.g !!ls in command mode.

> > >Any idea as to what could be wrong?

> > A guess: the .rc file for your shell (e.g., .cshrc, .bashrc)
> > contains a stty command.  When vi runs a filter in a subshell,
> > it does not have stdin attached to a tty device, and so stty
> > gives the error message in the Subject: line of this thread.

> > The first thing to do is question whether the stty command
> > in the dot-rc file belongs there, or is better placed in
> > the login file (.login, .profile, etc.).  If you decide that
> > it really does belong in the rc file, then either protect
> > the stty call with a test that stdin is a tty:
> >    test -t 0 && stty cs8
> > or do the stty unconditionally, but with its stderr redirected:
> >    stty cs8 2>/dev/null

> >                 --Ken Pizzini

> > P.S.:

> > Please don't post MIME or HTML to newsgroups unless you have a very
> > good reason.

1. stty: : No such device or address

I get the above error in VI when I try to substitute lines
with the output of a UNIX command. e.g !!ls in command mode.

Any idea as to what could be wrong?

stty -a
speed 9600 baud;
rows = 44; columns = 109; ypixels = 670; xpixels = 991;
eucw 1:0:0:0, scrw 1:0:0:0
intr = ^c; quit = ^|; erase = ^h; kill = ^?;
eof = ^d; eol = ^m; eol2 = <undef>; swtch = <undef>;
start = ^q; stop = ^s; susp = ^z; dsusp = ^y;
rprnt = ^r; flush = ^o; werase = ^w; lnext = ^v;
parenb -parodd cs7 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -crtscts
-crtsxoff -parext
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel
isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
-tostop echoctl -echoprt echoke -defecho -flusho -pendin iexten
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel

uname -a
SunOS MachineName 5.5.1 Generic_103640-17 sun4m sparc
SUNW,SPARCstation-10

I use ksh, xterm and TERM is set to xterm.

TIA,
James

2. X settings for Stealh24

3. How to start a program automatically.

4. stty -g output mapping to stty -a output

5. pre-emptive??

6. 'stty -opost' or 'stty -onlcr' don't work ?!

7. XConfigurator?

8. Change "stty erase ^?" for "stty erase ^H"

9. stty < /dev/modem - Device busy

10. stty: : Inappropriate ioctl for device

11. stty: tcgetattr failed: No such device (error 19)