a .profile question about the xenix vsh

Post by Don Glov » Sat, 18 May 1991 23:57:20

I have a user that uses the visual shell, I would like to force him to
use elm when he selects the mail option off the menu, what is the best
way to accomplish this?

Post by Tom Ba » Mon, 20 May 1991 10:28:57

>I have a user that uses the visual shell, I would like to force him to
>use elm when he selects the mail option off the menu, what is the best
>way to accomplish this?

Maybe try:

# mv yourmailpgm oldyourmailpgm
# ln elm yourmailpgm

That way when he selects the mail option off the menu it will run that
program which is actually now elm.
--
I can accept e-mail and Voice-mail at:

or Voice at: 1-414-377-4038

1. Reading multi-volume xenix tar files on non xenix systems

I am in the process of migrating some old software from a 386
running xenix onto a 486 running Linux (Please, no flames about
OS choice. I'm not interested.)

With the old software monthly archival data was written out to floppies
using Xenix multi-volume tar files. Now, I'd like to be able to read
those multi-volume tar files on the new Linux installation.
The problem is that the floppies contain large files that span
more than one disk.

Xenix tar recognizes that the next disk is a continuation of the
file on the previous disk, but if I untar the disks on linux this,
of course, does not work. The second or subsequence volumes just
get interpreted as a new file with the same name as an existing file,
and the existing file gets overwritten.

As a kludge I can read in the different volumes into separate directories
and append the resulting files with the same name by hand, but this is no
solution for the end user who wants to be able to get at his archival data.
Does anyone have source code for a version of tar that will read these Xenix
multi-volume tar files?

Thanks,

-- eric

Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

2. Method PUT with Netscape Server 2.01 doesn′t work

3. Wanted: Xenix 2.3.4 or Xenix 2.3.4 GT

4. Slackware 4.0 : LILO dies on startup

5. xenix to unix file conversion FROM XENIX TAPE

6. My Printer is NOT offline!!!

7. Mount xenix /u system under SCO 5.02 and WD network card with Xenix

8. problem with sqrt and errno, FreeBSD release 4.3

9. diff. XENIX problems: need SCSI-Support, move XENIX to another HD, ...

10. vsh - Visual Shell

11. .vshrc for vsh

12. ksh not reading /.profile or /etc/profile

13. Profile/.profile/.bash_rc/et al.