sh can't find dirs that zsh/ksh can

Post by Bill Marc » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>+   i'm trying to compile some programs on a sparc ultra/30 running
>solaris 2.5.1; for most of the programs, there aren't any problems.  for a
>couple, though, i've been getting errors back during the running of
>configure and make to the effect of 'xxx does not exist' or 'xxx is not a
>valid directory', when in every case xxx _is_ a valid directory (or at
>least, it appers to me to be a valid directory, into which i can cd,
>etc.). after a few days of this, i finally noticed that all of these
>errors are listed as coming from sh.  since i normally work in zsh and

Are you using ~ as your home directory?  In sh you have to use $HOME.

Quote:>ksh, i tried running the bourne shell and then cd-ing into one of the

--
Bill Marcum
"Well, actually, the Internet has been cream-filled for years" (Over the Hedge)

Post by Sweth Chandramou » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>+       i'm trying to compile some programs on a sparc ultra/30 running
>>solaris 2.5.1; for most of the programs, there aren't any problems.  for a
>>couple, though, i've been getting errors back during the running of
>>configure and make to the effect of 'xxx does not exist' or 'xxx is not a
>>valid directory', when in every case xxx _is_ a valid directory (or at
>>least, it appers to me to be a valid directory, into which i can cd,
>>etc.). after a few days of this, i finally noticed that all of these
>>errors are listed as coming from sh.  since i normally work in zsh and

>Are you using ~ as your home directory?  In sh you have to use $HOME.

        actually, i figured it out: i forgot to put . in my CDPATH.  zsh,
it seems, is smart enough to check . when cd-ing, so i hadn't noticed; sh,
however, doesn't do that, so the directories weren't getting found.  now i
just have problems with missing libraries that won't let me create a
Makefile...

        -- sweth.
--
.

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. Max. memory supported in OS5

3. Token Ring Network card on Linux

4. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

5. Where is NetKit located?

6. CGI: apache canned response

7. Error trying to build a module for video driver. Please help!

8. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

9. Canned "ping"

10. Any Canned Class code?

11. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?

12. after changing a user's home dir, cd ~user in ksh still use old dir