ps

Post by Pino Fres » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:50:36

This is the problem:
when I execute the command
ps -efx | grep mycommand
I would like the result of the command column was complete.
Instead the result is all the command but the last char.
For example if I execute
tail -f myfile_1234_6789
the result of
ps -efx | grep tail | grep -v grep
for the command column is
tail -f mifile_1234_678

I don't know!
Somebody can help me.
I need to read all the command line I executed.

Bye
Luca

ps

Post by Roberto Rott » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:14:31

> This is the problem:
> when I execute the command
> ps -efx | grep mycommand
> I would like the result of the command column was complete.
> Instead the result is all the command but the last char.
> For example if I execute
> tail -f myfile_1234_6789
> the result of
> ps -efx | grep tail | grep -v grep
> for the command column is
> tail -f mifile_1234_678

You need the -w switch, I think

--
        Roberto Rotta
        `cat $HOME/.signature | fold --width=80 | head --lines=4`

ps

Post by Rob Fishe » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 01:32:33

Quote:> You need the -w switch, I think

Or, for really long commands, -ww.

Rob

ps

Post by b.. » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:58:32

> tail -f myfile_1234_6789
> the result of
> ps -efx | grep tail | grep -v grep
> for the command column is
> tail -f mifile_1234_678
> I need to read all the command line I executed.

  This is likely very dependent on you opsystem plus the code in ps.
  Some versions of ps look at a proctable structure that holds only
  a maximum of 30 or 60 characters of the actual command line. The
  command line may be thousands to megs of characters (hint: echo *
  in a massive directory) and it would be impractical to keep the
  entire line in a kernel proctable structure.

  Some versions of ps don't have -x as an option at all (all versions
  of HP-UX except the latest 11.11) and other versions do not have -w
  as an option.

--

Bill 'shortsig' Hassell, HP Remote Engineering Services

1. How do I print PS with non-PS printer ?

        Hi everybody...

        Here's my problem : I bought an Epson Stylus 820 and I don't know
how to convince it to print Postscript in Linux ....

        Here's what I did:
I compiled a new kernel with printer support. Finally lpr works ( it didn't
at first because it needed some directories ) , but all I get is plain ascii.

        Do I need to edit /etc/printcap for this? I mean lpr can be
instructed to print Postscript on non-Postscript printers?

                Please help me ....

                                                        Dan

2. Support for Hayes ESP

3. PS/2 Mouse vs PS/2 Keyboard woes

4. Yggdrasil Fall 94 - Enet card IRQ problem

5. Wide "ps" listings using /bin/ps??

6. X-Windows

7. ps ea vs ps -ef

8. Ssh on Sol 2.5.1

9. How to get ps info from C program without using ps command

10. proc ps vs 'normal' ps

11. PS/2 Mouse vs PS/2 Keyboard woes

12. new PS/2-port and new PS/2-mouse doesn't work

13. Odd behavior, /usr/bin/ps vs. /usr/ucb/ps