q: keep jobs alive when shell dies?

Post by Oliver Brockman » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

I am launching a computing expensive job from a c-shell via telnet
on our server. Since these jobs usually run several days I want
to log off from the server after having started the job. However
when I close the connection the job dies with the shell -
even if I put it in background first. Is there a way to launch jobs
remotely which are independent and run until they are finished?
This is on a SUN machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oliver.

Post by Eric Amic » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

> I am launching a computing expensive job from a c-shell via telnet
> on our server. Since these jobs usually run several days I want
> to log off from the server after having started the job. However
> when I close the connection the job dies with the shell -
> even if I put it in background first. Is there a way to launch jobs
> remotely which are independent and run until they are finished?
> This is on a SUN machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

man nohup

--
Eric Amick
Columbia, MD

Post by Ari K Makel » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

> I am launching a computing expensive job from a c-shell via telnet
> on our server. Since these jobs usually run several days I want
> to log off from the server after having started the job. However
> when I close the connection the job dies with the shell -
> even if I put it in background first. Is there a way to launch jobs
> remotely which are independent and run until they are finished?
> This is on a SUN machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

nohup is your friend.

--

use strict;my $s='I am just a poor bear with a startling lack of brain.';my $t=

1. Keeping a child process alive when parent dies

This is all in C.

When my parent dies my child dies, but I don't want this to happen. All
my child does is execl() a program, but when the parent process dies the
program executed by execl() dies also.

What am I missing to allow the execl() program to continue to run?

2. how to get a status from ftp

3. Help: Keeping several processes in sync - one dies they all die

4. netshow

5. Shell with perpetual job dies

6. ssh and root login

7. ksh, background jobs die when I exit shell

8. Running a program automatically when switching VCs

9. Try to keep Unix Qs is Unix newsgroups (was: chroot a user's account)

10. "Keep Alive" TCP socket option

11. What can I do to keep tcp port alive?

12. Telnet Keep Alive Packet

13. : Suggestions for Keeping PPP alive