A shell scripting standards document

Post by dwmy.. » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Ok,

I haven't had much luck in finding one of these, so I took a stab at one
and it's up and available on the net. The location is:

http://www.mindspring.com/~dwmyers/Standards.htm

And feel free to peruse it and get comments back to me. If they're
posted here I may or may not get them, email is more secure. I do
consider this to be a living document and work in progress, I don't
claim to have all the answers, but my belief is it'll not get better
unless I take in suggestions and expose it to the body of admins at
large. So, feel free to look. I've needed to write something like this
for a standing committee I'm on, and any suggestion that'd improve it,
I'd be happy to hear.

Any mistakes, of course, are mine.

David.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Here document in shell script

I'm trying to write a here document in a korn shell script that
edits a file, finds the line that begins with FTCMND, deletes it,
and inserts/appends (whichever is the correct way - what is the correct syntax to append?)  the line beginning FTCMND = .
The following code doesn't work.  Can anyone show me the correct way to do this?

Should I be using sed instead of ex?

ex $SOLVED_CONF <<EOF
g/^FTCMND/d
i FTCMND = /usr/SSWFT/lib/softCDcsd -a $CLIENT_API_FILE -u $DIRECT_COMMAND
^[
wq!
EOF

TIA,

Neil

2. Xterm gray-on-gray

3. Shell script with here-document and lftp

4. Framebuffer, atyfb and modes

5. Shell Script Help/Writing Document In Loop

7. Tricky Born shell script with a here document...

8. does not work telnetd

9. `here' document in suid-wrapped shell script -- safe?

10. here document in a shell script

11. Any coding standards for shell scripts?

12. Shell Scripting Standards

13. changing standard input in Korn Shell script